Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
under gravel filters???????

in my undergravel filter will bacteria still grow on it. i am tinking of breeding small cichlids which stay near the bottom, do you recomend buying a small sponge filter and use that instead.????

jewel 120l
kept at 27 degrees celcius
sponge filtration
well planted at the back,
1 small trio of rocks for hiding,
alot of swimming space
very fine gravel with some larger pebbles
tank just 3 days old
currently 1 male guppy, with 2 females, one of which is heavily pregnent
i did the nitrite, amonia and ph tests which gave the go ahead
jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You could use either or. I don't have any experience with undergravel filters though, how or if you clean them. I would go with a sponge filter. It'll be cheaper and easier to clean.
I don't know what an undergravel filter could do to chiclid fry.

Previously: 2x 10gal tank, 45gal aquascaped, 70gal aquascaped
Currently: 16gal FW, 40W CF, ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II/Tahitan Moon Sand, PH 6.5, kH2, gH 4
Tiffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
If you can, get rid of the UGF and get a sponge filter... UGF's tend to be more work than they are worth becuase they suck all the gunk down into the gravel and you just have to gravel vac it right back out. I had one and i got rid of it after 3 months and got an Aquaclerar for my 55 gallon and i have never looked back!!!

But yes, with the UGF bacteria will grow in the gravel because oxygenated water is constantly being pulled into it. Which is one of hte pluses of having a UGF. also, i see that you are still cycling, so be very very careful and test your water on a weekly basis at the least.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
UGF's are perfectly fine. they use water flow to create a bacterial bed in the gravel. So you can't use sand or fine gravel, but standard aquarium gravel is fine.

You clean it using a gravel vacuum to suck out the accumulated junk or else you setup a reverse UGF which actually blows the gunk up and it collects on the surface. Really easy to maintain and a really good filter system.

Both are fine for cichlid fry as they are quite hardy and the amount of flow is only as much as you want it to be.

But try a google search for RGUF and you should find some neat ideas.
tkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
UGF's are pretty much out of date with all of the advanced filter choices there are now... and why vacuume all that gunk out when you can have a filter that does it for you? When i do my gravel vacs now all i have to do is barely go over the gravel and it sucks up all the poo and wastes... whats not filtered out that is.
Also, if you want to have Live plants, UGF are not recommended.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I quit using UGFs over a decade ago...just not worth the trouble for the mediocre filtration that they provide....a nice big ATI Hydro sponge filter would really suit your needs well, though.
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to Sati Send a message via AIM to Sati Send a message via MSN to Sati Send a message via Yahoo to Sati
I bought a used tank that had an UGF. When I ripped it out, it had years of accumulated poo gunk that you never could have sucked out because it went underneath the gravel. I threw that thing away. What a mess...
Holly ~

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I think the overall consensus here is that UGF (and to a lesser extent RUGF) are not recommended for breeding tanks. I have never used them myself. I recommend sponge filters for breeding tanks because they are easy to clean, protect the fry from getting sucked up into a filter and the sponge surface acts as a feeding ground for new fry that are too small to eat prepared foods. I have sponge filters on six of my tanks right now. UGF/RUGF is definitely not recommended for planted tanks.
Gene Heitman - 12 tanks (11 freshwater and 1 saltwater), 206 gallons, 20+ species of fish/shrimp/snails, 52+ species of plants ... 10 years ago I just wanted 1 tank with some fish
gheitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
IMO fry tanks has got to be the last use that the UGF is useful for..

This is a fry tank question.. I didnt see anything about adult fish or plants in the original post..
greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Will this tank be used for the fry or the breeding fish? I think we are under the assumption that it is being used for the adult fish.

Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filters, gravel, under gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com