Under gravel vs. overhang filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klj_current

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a 55 gal tank from a yard sale that I am in starting to set up. I don't know if it will be fresh or saltwater or what kind of fish are going to go in it. It came with an undergravel filter, but in the past, I have always used the overhang one.

Should I keep the undergravel filter or buy an overhang? What are the pros/cons for both?

I have never had an underground filter, just didn't really like the concept.Plus I hear more negative than positive so I lean towards the popular vote. When I did freshwater I used 2 large HOB powerfilters I used double what was suggested because I wanted the extra turnover for my african cichlid tank .The only con of a HOB filter that I can think of is its not appealing to the eye to have it hanging of the back of your tank. Now that switched to saltwater those HOB filters are with the other pile of stuff I don't need in my garage. With Saltwater if you have enough live rock and decent water flow via powerhead a filter is not really necessary since the live rock acts as a biological filter.

try a canister filter we have canister filters on our 180 fresh tank and on our 60 fresh tank. the are much better then the undergravel filters. you can find them cheap now too. very easy to use we like them alot, and if you swith to salt you could use the canister if you still wanted.

Having used the UG filter years ago, the HOB filter and now the external canister, I highly recommend the canister.

Just my opinion, but they are great filters, and are very easy to clean/maintain.

Back
Top Bottom