Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2004, 05:46 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyghtone
Hey Bearfan, I wasn't trying to say that you couldn't have plants without a UGF, I was just pointing out that it takes a little more than 1/4" of gravel I think, but I am also not claiming that to be a fact, haha.
I have laterite and about 1 1/2" of gravel, so yes, it would take more than 1/4". I wouldn't recommend only 1/4" even with a UGF and live plants.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
its really personal prefrence in alot of ways. I just feel that HOB filters keep your water much, much, cleaner than a UGF ever could do.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to wright4lfe Send a message via Yahoo to wright4lfe
i don't think anyone on this thread was advocating using only a UG filter. if anyone was they need to seriously reconsider.

on my 20gal, i have a UG filter and a penguin 330.

on my 55gal, i have a UG filter, 2 emperor 400's.

on my 180, no UG, but 1 eheim 2260 and 1 2180 pro II thermofilter. possibly adding another 2260.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think that anyone has asked this yet...what size tank do you have???
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 08-18-2004, 07:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is a 29 High with a Mag 350 pro system. I do have a UGF and i am slowly removing the fake plants and adding live.
smittyjr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

well there you go! that Mag 350 Pro with the bio-wheels works like a champ. You shouldnt need the UGF at all I would just turn it off and remove the tubes and save yourself some money on your electrical bill.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are you planning on keeping? Goldfish and Cichlids I would say no. They move to much gravel around to keep the filters running properly. Tetras or guppies sure.

I use them on most of my smaller tanks but not the larger ones. I do know of a public aquarium that uses them when doing substrate tests because it actually increases bactera growth and shortens study times of some conditions. So in short Yes and No. Clear as mud now huh!
1-225gal \ 1 60gal hex \ 17-20gal \ 7-10gal in storage
fish_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have done some research on this topic and still haven’t decided weather a UG filter is a good thing or a bad thing. There are so many different viewpoints on this topic that it can become confusing.

I put an UG filter in my first tank, a 29-gallon tank. I also have two hang on back filters and am running a power head on both outlet tubes. It seems to take a lot longer to cycle an UG filter. My tank has been running for about 6 months and my stand allows me to look under the tank. There doesn’t seem to be much flow in certain areas while the area near the outlet seems to have a high level of flow. It makes me wonder about the efficiency of an UG filter.

That being said I also have a 10-gallon tank with an UG filter. One outlet tube goes into a HOB filter and the other is air powered. The tank has 6 skirt tetras and one beta. I just cleaned it yesterday and was amazed at how little waste there was. It seems to be running very efficiently.

On my 60-gallon tank I decided to go with a canister filter and a HOB filter. After my experience with the 29-gallon tank and after doing some research it didn’t make sense to use a UG filter on that large of a tank. I think that’s been mentioned before.

If I were to build another small tank, 20-gallons or smaller, I probably use an UG filter as a supplemental filter.

As for smittyjr18, I’d say keep it in, I can’t see there being any negative benefit from using it. Where as tanking it out completely would be a huge pain in the neck.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:46 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't remove the whole thing. Just the tubes.

I had a clown loach once who lived for 2 years in my UG filter. had it not been there. I might have seen him more often. I didn't even realize he was still alive until I tore the tank down!

Old 01-23-2005, 12:40 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to PATtheHAT
Under gravel filters

I'm new here and have some input about Under Gravel Filters. I've been using under gravel filters for years and have never had to do all the things thats been posted here. I had a 55 gallon hex with close to 50 fish in it run for more than three years with doing nothing but add a little water once in a while. It had a glass top which I had sealed off, leaving just enough room for the heater and air line. I never vacuumed it or changed water as most of you have advised. I added a large seashell to keep the ph balanced. I had to move across the country and sold the tank I know this all sounds far fetched to you, but it's really worked this way for me, I only wish i took pics of it. It mostly had Tiger barbs (about 20 or more) a few clown loaches, a couple of cats, a shark, 5 female betas and 2 males which fought often but never to the death (one male at the top of the tank had all it's fins and only one mate, while the other at the bottom had nearly all it's fancy fins gone, but enjoyed 4 mates), and one big african knifefish. My current tank is a 35 hex, setup the same way and so far after 8 months I haven't anything different with No Troubles at all. I'll try it get pics posted soon. It has 6 lg tiger barbs, 4 lg albino tiger barbs, 4 lg green tiger barbs, 6 (2 lg 4 sm)red tiger barbs, 2 congo river puffers, a one lg clown loach. I had a lg blue lobtser til it found out that the puffers are poisonous when eaten, found it belly up yesterday
recently I tried the same technic to a 15 gallon high profile tank with disastrous results. I put ten small to medium sized tigers and one puffer in it, and less than two days later 7 tigers died and the water got cloudy and fowl smelling. I didn't find much waste in the gravel, so I think I added too much and didn't get a good draw though it. I'm trying again with less. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'll also be posting pics real soon.

Tags
filter, undergravel, undergravel filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com