Undergravel Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It really depends on what kind of tank you want to have (i.e: planted tank, mbuna tank, community tank). Tell us what you plan to put in the tank and we can be more decisive (or divided :lol: ).

FIrst you have to consider the amount of bacteria a UGF can hold?? The bottom of the tank times 3 inches thick. A heck of alot more bio filtration than any thing out there except a FBF or perhaps a trickle filter. The bacteria needs slow moving water not fast So hang on the back type filters are not the greatest for bio loads. You can use one with a bio wheel but how big is a bio wheel??

You take a UGF and slap on a power head and vaccum once a week and youll have one of the best lowest cost filter for bio load you can find out there.

I have hanging filter and UGF filter in all my tanks but 1 my 1.6 gallon it has a UGF only. I have had my 29 gallon tank for over 3 years ( UGF with 2 power heads ) and havent had a problem yet.

If you do get a UGF get a power head dont use the old air flow method and Put 3" of gravel over the top of it. Vaccum weekly and youll have very few problems.

Back
Top Bottom