Undergravel filter primitive....Why???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeybuzz2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to know why undergravel filters are considered outdated technology.....Although I am not considering using them my father was in the hobby in the 70's and 80's, he is about to start his 135 gallon tank up again. He cannot imagine not using an undergravel filter. He also doesnt think it is possible that the biowheels provide a better biological filtration........ I don't know the answer becwause i've only been in the hobby for 3 years and I do not know anything about undergravel filters.....Thanks

one of the answers is that technology has advanced much since the 70's and 80's. So has our knowledge. The undergravel filters would be major nitrate factories and thus, detrimental.

DragonForce said:
You don't really need biological filtration if you're using substrate and live rock.

Just to clear that up, Live rock and Live sand ARE biological filtration. They are much more efficient at the filtration and much more thurough in that they process nitrate and live little of it behind (in a balanced system). As hara pointed out, UGFs have a tendency to trap waste material where it can't be cleaned up by the natural processes (both bacteria and critters) which results in higher nitrates.

In todays "natural" approach to SW aquariums you'll notice it's MUCH easier and MUCH cheaper to run a successful reef system. In the 70's and 80's you had a lot of SW tanks that were FO... they had to be that way because nitrates were high with the typical filtration systems (wet/dry and ugf were the main approaches). Fish can tolerate nitrates ok, but any invert will not do well in a system with high nitrates.

take a look at some of the pictures of reef tanks from the 80's.. a hair algae mess! ugh..
I might dig something up.. :biglol:

Back
Top Bottom