Undergravel Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayaddy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is this system sufficient for a salt water settup? and is their any additional things to add or consider.

I have a 180 gallon tank with 5 holes drilled in the bottom (3 for input to the Quiet one pump, and 2 for the exit tubes which are in each back corner and extend to the surface of the tank). I bought a canister system from Rainbow Plastics about 15 years ago. It has 3 sections for the undergravel system which is covered with fine screen. 2 of the canisters are filters filled with carbon in the center. 1 canister is filled with all carbon. And the 4th canister is for the heater.

It has been working great for fresh water fish and now I have set it up for salt water. I have about 2 inches of crushed coral and about 50-60 lbs. of fiji rock and several pieces of coral and many shells. I plan to buy a protein skimmer soon.

I also plan put a wet/dry filter system that I have for a 90 gallon I used to have.

I plan to house hardy fish only. Triggers and whatever can live with them.

I asked the pet store today and he said as long as I use a python in the substate every 3-4 weeks, it should be fine.

I was also wondering if it would be OK to put shells I've had for years from shelling in Florida. I'm sure they are clean and nothing is in them.

Cap the holes in the tank and get a better method of filtration. UGFs have not been recommended for keeping aquarium fish for many years now.

DragonForce said:
I say ditch the wet/dry and UGF. Change out the CC for sand and get yourself a good skimmer. You will be much happier, I promise!

I don't think 50-60 lbs of LR is enough to filter the 180 by itself, I would keep the wet/dry and fo frequent partial water changes to keep the nitrates in check.

Back
Top Bottom