Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
undergravel filter questions

hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out on some questions I have about undergravel filters. This will be used in a 10 gallon tank BTW. OK, I was wondering how these things are setup, i bought one along time ago for my 29 gallon from wal mart and never could figure it out, no one at walmart knew what i needed or how they worked back then. SO anyways, since these are relativly cheap and i like to waste money on useless things i don't need i want one lol. Can you tell me everything that is needed, from air hoses, connectors, cartridges, filter itself, etc. and how to hook it up. I own a small air pump thats running a bubble stone and tube but i'm going to buy a dual outlet one in the next day or so for added power. What i don't understand is this, you have a filter plate under the gravel with one or two plastic tubes coming up to the top of the water, on top of the tubes is a charcoal cartridge, an air pump is conencted to that, so how do these work then, if thats how its hooked up wouldn't that force air down the tubes and up through the gravel? If so, then what would be the purpose of the charcoal packs at the top? Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 01-17-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there a reason why you want a ugf? They are not as effecient as a hob or canister and turn into Nitrate factories.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

UGF's bad! Flee the UGF! Flee, I tell you!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
LOL

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
UGF's are a thing of the past. Another thing to look at is later down the road, it's going to start building up a lot of crud, and also possibly get some anaerobic pockets if not cleaned properly. And the only way to clean properly is to completely remove so you can clean out all the crud.

HOB's and cannisters are the way to go nowdays, and are much easier to maintain. With a cannister, you have some setting up to do, but it's relatively easy. An HOB just hangs on the back of the tank, you put the filter cartriges in, add water, and turn on. Also, the HOB's are cheaper, and are very good. Cannisters are just as good for your biofilter, but as for cleaning the water, generally do a better job of removing small particles, making the water look much cleaner. So, IMO, cannisters, even though are a little more expensive, have the edge over HOB's. So the choice is yours.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosk1
LOL
Old 01-17-2006, 01:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I have had a UGF and when I removed it I was amazed at the gunk underneath it. It really suprised me. I wouldn't have one for anything, as mentioned they are nitrate factories.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
I have a HOB filter, its a Regent and I hate it, I want a canister filter, but the people at www.thatfishplace.com, which is where i orde alot of my stuff, told me i couldn't use a canistor filter. I just want a canistor filter that can be used for my 10 gallon and still be used if i upgrade to a 29 or 55 gallon tank. The only draw back is the price of maintaing a canister filter, I was told by the same people you would have to replace all the media you use every two weeks, and that seems a little pricey to me......
Old 01-17-2006, 02:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you upgrade to a 55, you will most likely need a new filter anyways, as a filter for a 10G won't have near enough capacity to filter a 55G. Cannisters are a little more expensive, but costs no more to maintain them. If using media like ceramic rings, etc, you just leave them in, never replace. So there's really not much cost to maintaining other than if you ever need to replace floss or a sponge, but those usually lasts years. So those people gave you wrong info.

As for sponges, all you have to do is rinse the sponge out in old tank water about every 3 or 4 weeks, unless you have a heavier bio-load, which would then be more often. As for the media, you will never have to replace, such as ceramic rings or lava media, etc.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

And if they tell you you need to use carbon, you don't. Carbon is only used to remove meds from the water or tannins if you put driftwood in the tank, until it stops releasing tannins.

Tags
filter, undergravel, undergravel filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com