undergravel filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLauderdale

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 24" tubes for my undergravel filter. How far down in the tube should my air stones be ?

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion.

As far as your question is concerned. I would really ditch the under gravel filter and go with a hang-on-back (HOB) type filter. I recommend the AquaClear brand.

Under gravel filters tend to foul up the water without proper maintenance. The maintenance is a lot more on those compared to a HOB. Hope it helps!

Edit: Where are my manors? Welcome to AA! :)

Whenever I used UGFs, I had the airstones all of the way down. The further the bubbles travel the more water it'll move? Just my opinion. But I also agree, if you want low maintenance, go with an HOB filter like the aquaclear. They're pretty cheap, reliable, and you don't have to tear your tank down to clean them.

With UGFs, once you start using them, you MUST continue to use them FOREVER, unless you are going to rip your tank down to remove it. If you simply stop using it, all of the stuff it has collected (look through the bottom of your tank) will decompose and release bad stuff into the tank. Also, you can't use sand as your substrate (unless you do ReverseUGF I think? correct me if I'm wrong). You also can't use rooted plants, as the roots will get down into the filter and clog all of the holes.

Also, every year or so, you DO have to rip down your tank to clean the UGF. If you read carefully about them, you'll find this out. So if you already have it set up, it's fine, just wait until you have the money to buy a HangOnBack filter then take the UGF out of the tank.

In all honesty though, UGFs aren't bad filters, they do their job well, just the maintenance that goes along with them isn't worth it.

Only if you use it in the flow it was designed for, put a 660R marineland powerhead on that and you have a RUGF which rarely IF ever collects crap on the bottom. the water going down the tubes and up thru the plate and gravel. It is the best method to use when using a UGF.

Marineland Powerhead 660 R - Powerheads - Powerheads at BigalsOnline

for that price you can get two for the price of one at the LFS or big box. I use this method and have had great success with breeding loaches that have never been recognized as being able to breed in captivity. All my tanks have one in them, only 1 is hooked up the others are for in there for a breeding cave of sorts for my pangio's

I agree they are ALOT more maintence when any other filter however inventions have made that a thing of the past.

Only if you use it in the flow it was designed for, put a 660R marineland powerhead on that and you have a RUGF which rarely IF ever collects crap on the bottom. the water going down the tubes and up thru the plate and gravel. It is the best method to use when using a UGF.
thats how i would do it.

Back
Top Bottom