Undergravel Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sounds good to me, i saw those at petsmart. i think ill try the penguin one...which one is the best though ?

I like the new penguins because they are very quiet. I have never used an aquaclear filter, but I have heard many good things about them.

angels-- both are good filters, but for different reasons. The Penguin has the Biowheel, but uses expensive cartridges with carbon in them (I don't like to use carbon except to remove meds). The Aquaclear does not have a Biowheel, but has a large media compartment that is more customizable than the Penguin's. Also, it uses a foam block that you can rinse occasionally (in TANKWATER ONLY) during your water changes, and use over and over. I've had some of my Aquaclears for over a year and have never replaced the foam. Like I said, both are equally good choices IMO, it just depends on what you prefer. :D

well which one would be best for a 10 gl. see i have a cat and the bio-wheel may attract her to drinking from the water that flows back into the aquarium...so maybe i should go with an aquaclear filter ?
also PBirdsong wanted some help on a 55 gl. :!:

Also, it uses a foam block that you can rinse occasionally (in TANKWATER ONLY) during your water changes, and use over and over

can you rinse the pad in luke warm tap water? just curious

Undergravel Filters are the Devil.. plain and simple. DON"T GET ONE

can you rinse the pad in luke warm tap water? just curious

Please don't, your fishies will thank you. Tap water will kill the bacteria growing on the filter pad and may cause another cycle. Also, a sudden change in temperature or pH will be problematic.

While we are on the subject: what would you all recommend for a 55 gallon freshwater? We are ripping out our ugf.

Good for you! :D If you can afford a canister I would go for it, like maybe a Fluval 404 or a Rena Filstar- I think the XP3 would be plenty for a 55 gallon but I can't remember its flow rate offhand. Of course I hear Eheims are top quality but they have a price tag to match. I don't yet use canisters ($ issues) but a lot of folks here think they're great, and I know they are more quiet than HOBs. If you want to go with HOBs I'd get the Aquaclear 500, or an Emperor 400. You can combine this with another HOB if you want, like on my 55 gallon tank I use an Emperor 400 and an Emperor 280. If it matters to you, Aquaclears are more quiet than Emperors. HTH :D

Back
Top Bottom