Undergravel Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wingersfan14191

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a SW tank and was looking at heaters and came across an under gravel heater..It says mainly to help plants grow..I was planning on growing a couple of plants in my SW tank..Does anyone have any experience with these?..I know they are meant more for FW tanks..Also would this heat contribute to the tanks heat level..In other words if i need a total of 400watts to heat my tank..Could i get a 300watt heater and do a 100watt undergravel heater..Does anyone have any other suggestions on heaters..Thanks Sean

HYDOR componenti per acquari

I don't know much about macroalgae roots, I don't know if they would benefit so much from heated substrate. It can't hurt to try though, as long as you keep it set to a level that won't hurt your live sand critters. It will contribute to overall heat in the tank. If you have foam or solid wood under the tank, you won't loose much extra heat to the air. If you have an open bottom, and the substrate heater is under instead of within the substrate, you may have some additional heat loss there.

i know for fw plants they really dont do anything other then cause a mess with plants that have large root systems.

Back
Top Bottom