Uneven surface problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TaylorAnuar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i'm new to the forum, and still relatively green in the hobby, but i know a decent amount.
I recently bought a 20g aquarium (24x12x16) and i put it on my desk, i know this is not normally recommended but i ensured it would be fine. The problem is, the way it sits the four corners and the two 12in sides are in full contact with the desk but on the 24in sides it isn't contact with the surface(by a very small amount, two pieces of paper worth) except for at the corners. So my question is, am i going to have a problem with this when it is filled and if the answer is yes, what can i do to solve it?

Sorry for the length, and thank you for any answers. :)

Oh, and this is the aquarium(just a generic photo from petsmart where i purchased the aquarium)

Attachments

• image-585460677.jpg
    image-585460677.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,123
Okay, a picture of the tank sitting on the desk may help but here is how I think it will go.
The best thing is to have in on an even surface, because the weight will be distributed evenly along the bottom of the tank. Not all tanks have tempered bottoms. they are designed to sit on even ground. What I could see happening is stress cracks or the tank bursting.
Here is a site
An Aquarium Sizes and Weights Chart

According to it a filled with water (not including fish, decor or gravel/sand) weighs 225 lbs! That is a lot of weight not to be on even ground. You may want to consider moving it, or seeing how to make it even on your desk.

here is another site that talks about weight distribution
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/beginnerfaqs/f/faq0054.htm

Jetajockey,
That's kind of what i've been thinking, i'm pretty sure it would work, but i'm iffy. Thanks for the response. :)

Oceangirl,
Hahaha you think that would have been the obvious thing to do, huh? Eh, you can't see the gap anyways, i noticed it because i accidentally slid a piece of paper and it made me think bad things. Haha
I was pretty sure it was bad, but that's why i asked. I'm looking for a way to make it sit even or something i could insert under it to support. I know something could work, but what that something is, i am unsure. Thanks for the response. :)

I didn't know there was a hardware thread, is there any way to move this to that forum?

Two pieces of paper is nothing, its like 6 thousandths of an inch. The weight of the water will even that out, it could be down to the frame on the tank not being completely true. I wouldnt worry about it personally.

Get a 3/4" styro sheet from home depot or lowes. Cut it 1/4" wider and longer than the tank. It will cost about 10 bucks, but is well worth the peace of mind.

On those tanks, the weight is designed to be on the corners. I think you'll be fine. A 20H isn't a mess of huge forces and pressures.

When you buy an aquarium stand made for that tank, it will also many times have tiny gaps along the long sides.

On those sized tanks, it's when the surface is uneven side to side and the tank twists or leans that you end up with issues.

That's just my experience. It will certainly not hurt to make sure the entire bottom rim is touching if you want.

It's actually more of a credit card thickness.
I was thinking of putting it on a sheet of styrofoam, what do you guys think?
Again, thanks for the responses.

styro will blow apart cork would be better as it wont fall apart

Blow apart? What do you mean? We've have had 60 plus tanks on foam in our fishroom for 2 1/2 years now and I haven't seen anything blow apart.

styro disintegrates over time and falls apart

Not if you use the right type. If it disintegrated quickly, it wouldn't matter in landfills. Right? It is far from fast to biodegrade. Cork on the other hand is totally natural and will break down more quickly. Especially in the possible presence of water and heat. Just sayin'.

Just to be sure that we are talking apples to apples.... this type of styro insulation. http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...ENT_ID&langId=-1&storeId=10051&searchNav=true

Last edited:
It comes in a blue or pink 4x8 sheet, it's the same thing I insulate fish shipping boxes with. It doesn't flake off like regular styro does if you bump the edge.

That said, ultimately a tank this size is likely fine without any support, so either way IMO.

I'm gonna go with the safe rather than sorry approach on this one. Just personal preference, ya' know? Hm. I'm not really sure as to styrofoam or cork now. .__.

Seems like i'm gonna go off of a $$$ basis. Haha again, thanks a lot to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom