Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Theres nothing on the market besides a gas powered GENERATOR that will keep your things powered for more than 4 days. I would just have to chalk it up to bad luck if you have another power outage like that. What you could do though.. is wrap your tank in tin foil. Sounds kind of desperate.. but wouldn't you be if you had fish to worry about? The tin foil will keep the heat in.. but idk about the filtering and all. Maybe you should start building up an army of hamsters that run on a big wheel that can power your things for you. Just a thought..

Theres nothing on the market besides a gas powered GENERATOR that will keep your things powered for more than 4 days. I would just have to chalk it up to bad luck if you have another power outage like that. What you could do though.. is wrap your tank in tin foil. Sounds kind of desperate.. but wouldn't you be if you had fish to worry about? The tin foil will keep the heat in.. but idk about the filtering and all. Maybe you should start building up an army of hamsters that run on a big wheel that can power your things for you. Just a thought..

sigh, well I guess my fish will have to tough it out cuz generators are expensive too. How long do you think that one would last?

Wow great find rook. My mom said she might get it for me for xmas, but tht would be the only thing lol. I'll look into it.

Bah dont get it. If it says *Reliable* in the product description, then we know something is up. I would skip that thing. Looks like another piece of junk for rednecks on budget.

And just think, for 80-100 more $$ you could get this one. Which looks a **** of alot more reliable, and like it wouldn't die on your after and during the first use.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_523661&id=0070002523660a

Bah dont get it. If it says *Reliable* in the product description, then we know something is up. I would skip that thing. Looks like another piece of junk for rednecks on budget.

Well, then could someone find me a cheap one that would work good? Even though those two words are rarely used together.

And just think, for 80-100 more $$ you could get this one. Which looks a **** of alot more reliable, and like it wouldn't die on your after and during the first use.

Cabela's -- Champion 1,200-Watt Portable Generator

i was only making a suggestion that he could find a gas powered generator fairly cheap. what is up with all the redneck bashing?

Well, technically, i didn't say anything bad about them. I just said it LOOKED like one for rednecks on budget. Was not bashing anyone. Dont be so sensitive.

why does it have to be rednecks.. why cant it just be a person on a budget like Aq1 ?... and just cause it says Reliable doesnt mean a thing...its for a fish tank... not a matter of life and death here

I have another suggestion ... Instead of expensive UPS's that has power rectifier, etc that you don't need, you can use a deep-cycle RV battery & an inverter. Or get an all in one unit like this:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...1804P/Motomaster+Eliminator+300A+PowerBox.jsphttp://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...11804 Motomaster+Eliminator+300A+PowerBox.jsp

With powerboxes, you get far more Amps/$ spent. This 30 Amp-Hr eg I listed, will put out 3 Amp-hr at 120V (assuming no loss in inverter - not true!) Your 6W filter is drawing 6/120 or about 0.05 Amp per hr. Even accounting for ineffeciencies in the inverter, overstated battery capacity, etc. you can still power that for days with a 30 Amp-Hr box. <You can also get 600 or 800 Amp boxes - meant to power tools at job site, but that is much more expensive.> Note that you can't efficiently power a heater, even a small 200W heater will draw 2 Amp/hr & drain the box in hours.

One disadvantage of the powerbox option is that it is not automatic ... you keep the battery charged & you ahve to plug your tank into it with each power out. A UPS would turn on automatically.

There was a thread a while back of someone DIYing a setup with a half dozen batteries, a charger & inverter & he can power multiple tanks for days at a time.

Last edited:
Wow, I think I'll be okay with plugging it in manually. I clicked on the website and it said error also, I'm in the US so it would have to be internationally shipped. From the description you told me it sounds great and my other filter is 9w so it combines to equal 15w. How many days would a 30 amp box last approximatily? Also, what are the words I could google in order to find the right thing? Thank you for telling me about this.

The linked finally worked. It is 200. All I have to do is find one in the US lol. Would I charge it via an electric outlet?

Sorry, living in Canada, I went for the first site where I know these things exists....

Those "Powerbox" are used for
1. Camping & RV's where you want to get 110V in the wilderness.
2. Boosting & jumpstarting cars in a Canadian winter.
3. Plugging in power tools at the jobsite.

You can usu. find them at an automotive supply place or a camping/RV store. We have them at most general purpose retailer here (even Walmart has them ... comes in handy at -40 ... :( ) I know Sears had them as well.

At the end of the camping season, the small ones often go on sale for $150 or so. <You can get smaller ones for less than $100, but they really only store enough charge for 1 single boost.> You won't be able to get a jobsite one for that price ... saw one at HD for like $600.

Search "110V Power Pack" to see if you can find some in the US.

This is an example of one in the US I found <no idea how good they are!>:
110 VAC to 12 VDC Portable Power Supplies / Packs

You might want something like the 600W Duracell one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom