Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

I have another suggestion ... Instead of expensive UPS's that has power rectifier, etc that you don't need, you can use a deep-cycle RV battery & an inverter. Or get an all in one unit like this:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...A+PowerBox.jsp

With powerboxes, you get far more Amps/$ spent. This 30 Amp-Hr eg I listed, will put out 3 Amp-hr at 120V (assuming no loss in inverter - not true!) Your 6W filter is drawing 6/120 or about 0.05 Amp per hr. Even accounting for ineffeciencies in the inverter, overstated battery capacity, etc. you can still power that for days with a 30 Amp-Hr box. <You can also get 600 or 800 Amp boxes - meant to power tools at job site, but that is much more expensive.> Note that you can't efficiently power a heater, even a small 200W heater will draw 2 Amp/hr & drain the box in hours.

One disadvantage of the powerbox option is that it is not automatic ... you keep the battery charged & you ahve to plug your tank into it with each power out. A UPS would turn on automatically.

There was a thread a while back of someone DIYing a setup with a half dozen batteries, a charger & inverter & he can power multiple tanks for days at a time.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Wow, I think I'll be okay with plugging it in manually. I clicked on the website and it said error also, I'm in the US so it would have to be internationally shipped. From the description you told me it sounds great and my other filter is 9w so it combines to equal 15w. How many days would a 30 amp box last approximatily? Also, what are the words I could google in order to find the right thing? Thank you for telling me about this.

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Sonomakid
only problem with a deep-cycle battery is that they can be as expensive as a ups
Old 09-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #34
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

you could always get a power inverter, hook it up to your moms car,and run the cord through the window... that would be the cheapest way

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonomakid View Post
only problem with a deep-cycle battery is that they can be as expensive as a ups
If I can find one for 200 or less itd be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
you could always get a power inverter, hook it up to your moms car,and run the cord through the window... that would be the cheapest way
lol she already said no.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

The linked finally worked. It is 200. All I have to do is find one in the US lol. Would I charge it via an electric outlet?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry, living in Canada, I went for the first site where I know these things exists....

Those "Powerbox" are used for
1. Camping & RV's where you want to get 110V in the wilderness.
2. Boosting & jumpstarting cars in a Canadian winter.
3. Plugging in power tools at the jobsite.

You can usu. find them at an automotive supply place or a camping/RV store. We have them at most general purpose retailer here (even Walmart has them ... comes in handy at -40 ... ) I know Sears had them as well.

At the end of the camping season, the small ones often go on sale for $150 or so. <You can get smaller ones for less than $100, but they really only store enough charge for 1 single boost.> You won't be able to get a jobsite one for that price ... saw one at HD for like $600.

Search "110V Power Pack" to see if you can find some in the US.

This is an example of one in the US I found <no idea how good they are!>:
110 VAC to 12 VDC Portable Power Supplies / Packs

You might want something like the 600W Duracell one.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

This is one from Sears us:
DieHard Portable Power 1150 Jump-Starter/AC-DC Power Source

Only 22 Amp-Hr battery, but it is user replaceable ... so if you get a couple batteries, you can swap them out as one runs low ....

Yes, you can charge those thing from a wall outlet, or from a car. You also can get solar charge kits for some .... great for when I go camping ....
Old 09-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

If only we could know if it were reliable or no. lol. What about this one? Amazon.com: Duracell DPP-600HD Powerpack 600 Jump Starter & Emergency Power Source with Radio: Automotive
Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

o didn't see your new post lol

Tags
supply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com