Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would go look at an office supply store or something like that. Find the biggest one you could possibly afford and buy that one.

I don't know how long these will last used constantly .. my RV deep cycle lasts maybe 2 season, but that is used lots. An occasional use, I would guess 3-4 yr is a good av. battery life.

As to how long the unit will power your pumps ... depends on the battery & the curciut. In theory, a 30 A-H battery should have 3 A-H at 120V, which should power your 2 pumps (total of 20W or so) for 25 or so hours. <I found a site for a B&D 30 A-H box that said 30 hrs at 25W...>

If you need longer, a DIY version is prob better. Eg. my RV deep cycle is 100 A-H <Costs ~150>, add an inverter & a charger <~60-100> & you have a setup that is at least 3x the capacity of the typical powerbox. And you can just buy more bateries if you want a bigger system.

I have a 400 watt Powerbox I bought a few years back made by Husky. I got on sale for $80.00. During a 8 hour power outage I ran a Mag 9.5 and a couple small power heads for about 4 hours. When it ran down, I connected it a spare car battery and ran it for 4 more hours until the power came back on. I suspect it would have for a lot longer especially on a marine battery.

The problem is, we can have pretty long outages. Although most are a few hours, sometimes it lasts days, and I can't afford a genny.

The problem is, we can have pretty long outages. Although most are a few hours, sometimes it lasts days, and I can't afford a genny.

Unless you go with a bank of marine batteries and an inverter as suggested already, you're not going to get "days" of power. You can maybe get a day with wise use of the Xantrex unit (no heater, air pump/powerheads only), but nothing out there is going to give you multiple days - without recharging. Even with the marine batteries, you're not looking at something that is a long term solution.

I realize that money may be tight, but I think that by the time you buy all the batteries that you need for an inverter setup that will last you the time you want, you'll be looking at a price tag that's getting pretty close to an inexpensive generator. You don't need to be looking at a lot of Watts if all you want to run is your fish tank.

Back
Top Bottom