Unlevel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kopitar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys

I set up my 77 gallon about 2 weeks ago and knowing that my floor wasnt 100% level, i decided to buy wood shims and level my stand.
After shimming my stand and putting the aquarium on it it was perfectly level from both sides. But after filling it up with water all the way to the top and aquascaping it i noticed that it wasnt level anymore the way it was before filling it up. The weight of the water and the rocks maybe made the shims moved a little ? I dont know. But basicly my question is : now my water is about 3mm difference from left to right and 1mm difference from back to front... Should i be worried about this ? What is the acceptable gap of unlevelness that remains safe ??

Thanks

I wouldn't worry to much. Mine isn't level either cause I decided to put a sheet of foam between my tank and stand and must have got more substrate on one side than the other cause the left side of my tank sinks lower into the foam than the right side. But I had an old man that builds furniture tell me that it won't matter really because one, they build the tanks to hold all that water, and two, the water weight is pushing down not right or left so no matter how perfect or imperfect the level is the weight is pushing down.... A couple mm isn't gonna hurt but if it was a couple inches then maybe some concern would be ok

Thanks for the input.. Was worried a bit when i read bout ppl tank cracking wide open cause of level issues...

That's false to believe that all the weight is just pushing down. I wouldn't be worried about it being slightly off until we are talking about 100 gallon tanks and bigger but the water creates a decent bit of pressure against all the walls and seams.

The main reason for tank failure is it not sitting on the stand flat and "twisting" 3mm isnt much.I just set my 75 up this week and had to stack shims it was so far off.Like between 5/8" and 3/4". just took my time,and made sure that the tank sat flat on the stand and all is good.

Back
Top Bottom