Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Angry Unscrewing RO/DI Filters

So it's been 45min and no matter how hard I try I cannot unscrew the last filter. The first 2 filters were a pain in the @$$ to unscrew, but have been done. Now this last 1 I have been on for a good 30min doing everything I can think of.

It's a 5-stage unit from FilterDirect and all lines have been disconnected.

The plastic wrench it came with (that barely helped get the others off) broke; because (yes), it's on that tight. Also if you're wondering, the wrench was at the very top.

I have also used the hammer-tapping method to help release pressure, and it hasn't budged.

I would really like not to destroy this unit so any insightful feedback would be wonderful.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nvm... BEAST!!!!!

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Same thing happened to me with the cheapo filter wrench. Go get yourself one of these at a local Wally World or automotive store:

Amazon.com: Rubber Strap Wrench - 6 in.: Home Improvement

Worked like a champ...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why so tight are you really socking it home I have the same filter with no problem like that . Try putting some vaseline on the o rings and on the threads then hand tighten it and give it a snugging with the wrench that should help. You could also use a pipe wrench with a rag around it so as not to damage the finish, ive done that also .Just go easy if you try the latter.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had the same problem before. What I did was take a big dish towel and rapped it around the canister and twisted the two ends together real tight and it came free with no problem. I ever ordered a new wrench but never us it now
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filters, ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com