upgrading filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqh88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not looking to start another canister filter debate but now that I upgraded from a 55g to a 90g I think I need more than my 2 penguin 330 filters. I also get tired of changing the cartridges practically every week cause they clog. Eheim doesn't seem worth the money and the magnum 350 I have just isn't enough filtration. After searching posts on forums and looking at prices I was debating between a fluval 404 or odyssea. I was planning to keep 1 of my penguin filters for biological filtration. It's also a planted tank so I'm looking more for alot of mechanical filtration and a little chemical. I liked the eheims coarse, medium, and fine media setup but I can't find much info on fluval and no info on odyssea filter media. I can't even find odyssea canisters for sale besides ebay. What media can you use with either of these filters? Any opinions on which one would be better for my tank?

you can use any media you like.. and prefilters on your current setup would make maintainace easier.. your not likely going to need any bio-backup if it has dense healthy plants, they would be the bio.. you would likely just need 5X turnover of good machanical filtration.. If you can get decent prefiltration on your HOB's and put in some poly sheets instead of the regular cartrages you might be fine with what you have.. Whats your current total gph with your HOB's? if its at least 450gph you should be fine....

I have 660gph so right now 12 times the tanks volume on the 55g. Except within a week the cartridges clog to the point the water is running over the middle and the biowheels barely turn. I doubt I'm getting 660gph unless I clean both filters completely. Even cleaned the penguin filters don't really keep the water that clear. Also marineland only has 1 cartridge type with carbon which I hate. I was keeping the penguin just for water movement and a little biofilter. If I don't need biofilter than the penguin filters are worthless to me.

Here are the Jebo 828 (CSF4) specs: 1200 L/P/H or 317 G/P/H for tanks 55 - 125 gallons, 4 stage, uses 25 watts. I do own one, they are well worth the money,and if handled with care will last as long as overpriced Eheim.Water is crystal clear,no fine particles.It also has the features of the Pro 2 model. I purchased mine from superfishstore.com for $59.99. If you purchase right now,Aquatraders.com has it on sale for $49.99!!!! All necessary media is included with the filter. I probably would use one HOB with the cannister for a 90 gallon.

Not just $49.99 but free shipping :D Can I switch to Eheim media when it's time to replace what the filter came with? It's much easier to find.

They make prefilter sponges for Mag pumps (models 2-5) that should fit your intakes on your penguin filters (the bio-wheels can reduse CO2 by 60% in injected systems) the sponges would keep the filter clean.. and you would only need 450 gph...

It's not just what I need for filtration but most of my fish are not from still waters. They aren't exactly river fish but would prefer current and I'd like to keep them happily spawning as they currently are in the 55g waiting their move. I like the higher gph and would prefer up near 8times the tanks volume an hour but I doubt I'll make that. I use carbo plus co2 and it has done fine with the 2 biowheel filters. My co2 level isn't way up there but it's enough to keep the plants growing and the algae not growing. Better to keep the tank balanced than to trim it constantly.
Last question is the output and intake connected on the odyssea filter or can I put the intake at one end of the tank and output at the other? It would probably improve filtration to move the water across the whole tank and would give a more unidirectional and natural flow for my fish.

If your looking for 8x turnover your likely going to need to add not replace a filter..LOL
I personaly dont like the bio-wheels (I really dont think there nessisary) Ive used them before and they didnt do anything for improving water quality (I have used many types of filters over 16 years) and I have never had the need for as much water flow as your wanting to get either.. maxi-jet powerheads would be a cheaper and easier solution if you need more flow because your likely not going to need more filtration if the filters are prefiltered..
but you can put the intake on one side and the spraybar/output on the other.. placement is really up to you there really is no wrong way unless the output is spraying water directly into the input..LOL

There is nothing wrong with turning your water over 8x an hour depending on what type fish you have.
I have four Oscars in a 180g tank and we all know how messy they are. I run an Ocean Clear canister filter with a 2000gph water pump it turns my water over just over 10x per hour. Tank is very clean and all fish are healthy.
I've used the 10x an hour filtration on my oscar tanks for many many years.

if you don't mind a bit of noise, you might consider a Rena XP2 or XP3. Rena offers mechanical filter pads in different porosities all the way down to one micron, which makes a huge difference in terms of overall water clarity. Running one Rena with one of your Penguin 330's would greatly increase the 'life cycle' of your Penguin filter cartridges, as the Rena's 1 micron filter pads will grab the vast majority of particulates from the tank water.

Another possibility is to spring for a submersible pump with pre-filter like a Danner Mag 7, and for a mechanical filter module like a Pentair AF-94, keep both Penguin 330's, unplug the pump and remove the J-tube on one of them, and push the return hose from the filter module directly into the J-tube fitting of the second Penguin 330. The pleated mechanical filter cartridge used by these type of mechanical filters do a MASSIVELY better job of removing solids without premature plugging.

I would probably get a rena filter if it wasn't for the noise I've heard several people comment on. My boyfriend is already complaining about my quietest air pump. Next I tried to get an eheim filter for a good price off ebay but they still go for at least $40 over filters with similar capacity. I spent more for the magnum 350 than that odyssea costs.

Eheim Pro 2 media will fit in the Jebo CSF4(828). You can get Jebo replacement media at the superfishstore.com. The intake and return can be situated where you desire with the help of suction cups included. The return can be used with or w/o the spray bar. The return or spray bar can be submersed as much as 5 inches from the surface with the plumbing included.

Thanks piranha for answering all my questions :D My filter should be here in about 2 days. Around the same time my new light will get here. Then I can really get started setting up my 90g.

Back
Top Bottom