Upgrading from 29 Gallon Glass to 55 Gallon Acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hazarrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice/information/suggestions regarding my contemplated upgrade. I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater glass tank with an AquaClear 70 Gallon Power Filter, one heater (I think the heater is made for up to a 60 gallon tank), and a fluorescent light. I would like to upgrade to a 50-60 gallon acrylic tank. I'm leaning toward the TruVu 55 gallon (48x13x20), and I have a few questions.

1. How do TruVu tanks compare with Seaclear? Is there a noticeable difference in quality? I have heard negative reviews about TruVu with respect to bowing, and negative things about Seaclear with respect to the hood. What else do you know?

2. Is my current filter sufficient, or will I need a different/additional filter?

3. Is one heater sufficient for such a large tank?

4. What is the best way to setup the new tank? Should I simply transfer all 29 gallons of water from my old tank to the new tank and then fill the new tank? What else should I be thinking about with respect to the transfer?

5. I'm going to need a new lamp, and I like the Marineland LED Double Bright. Do any of you have experience with this lamp? If I get this lamp, should I get the 36"-48" or the 48"-60"? I'm more concerned about the fit/look than the price difference. Do you have suggestions for a different lamp that might work better?

Feel free to respond to only some of my questions above. Thoughts on anything else are also appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!

Dear Hazarrd.

1) I have a seaclear 55 acrylic tank that I used for my goldies--before I got my 125 gallon. I liked it very much. The only real hassle with it was that it had 2 openings in the top which sometimes made it hard to reach things. I did however just use appropriate-sized piece of screen and then plexiglass to cover holes. I did not use their canopy simply a 36" strip light (Aqueon?).

2. I know nothing about heaters. I like A/C filters very much and they worked well in my 55 and 125. Just make sure your filtration is adequate for your speices--goldfish, for example require much more than the usual "rating".

3. There are probably several good threads on how-to-transfer to new tanks here a AA. However the usual way is to use a filter or at least the filter media from another established tank--keeping media wet. Transfer as much of decorations and substrate. But not necessarily the water--bearer of less bateria. And then either do a fishless cycle (highly recommended) or if you lack patience as I do, use SafeStart to reinforce the transferred bacteria in the filter and watch the ammonia.

Good luck,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom