Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Upgrading lighting

I need to replace my bulbs in July. I think I wanna up grade my light from 260w Current USA PowerCompact Orbit 48" to a 516w Marineland Pro Series HQI/T5 Lighting. Is that to much light for a 55g reef tank? I was also looking at the 324w Nova Extreme Pro HO T5. The Marineland Pro is a sweet light from what I can tell. I think thats the one I want but is it to much light for a 55g reef tank? The only other issue is I cant hang it at the moment so would it generate to much heat?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

What do you have in your tank? SPS, LPS, softies? We need to know this first and foremost.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am currently in the process of changing from FOWLR to a reef. I dont have any corals yet. I am doing this slowly, I need to start saving for a new light. I guess I wanna be able to what ever I want in the tank which was why I was leaning towards the light with metal halides but was worried that it might be to much light
Old 03-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Both lights should work fine. I have a current HO 36' 4 t5 light over my 110g tank for now. I'm waiting until the guy who built my canopy has time to install my real lights. Let me tell you this light is bright. I can only imagine my MH's over the tank.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am just worried that a 48" fixture with 516w on a 55g might be to much? Thats 9.3w per gallon. I just dont want to over do it and burn everything. Yet I do want to have the option of putting anything in I want. That is the light I keep coming back to. I love it, just unsure about it

Tags
light, lighting, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com