Upgrading lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to replace my bulbs in July. I think I wanna up grade my light from 260w Current USA PowerCompact Orbit 48" to a 516w Marineland Pro Series HQI/T5 Lighting. Is that to much light for a 55g reef tank? I was also looking at the 324w Nova Extreme Pro HO T5. The Marineland Pro is a sweet light from what I can tell. I think thats the one I want but is it to much light for a 55g reef tank? The only other issue is I cant hang it at the moment so would it generate to much heat?

What do you have in your tank? SPS, LPS, softies? We need to know this first and foremost.

I am currently in the process of changing from FOWLR to a reef. I dont have any corals yet. I am doing this slowly, I need to start saving for a new light. I guess I wanna be able to what ever I want in the tank which was why I was leaning towards the light with metal halides but was worried that it might be to much light

Both lights should work fine. I have a current HO 36' 4 t5 light over my 110g tank for now. I'm waiting until the guy who built my canopy has time to install my real lights. Let me tell you this light is bright. I can only imagine my MH's over the tank.

I am just worried that a 48" fixture with 516w on a 55g might be to much? Thats 9.3w per gallon. I just dont want to over do it and burn everything. Yet I do want to have the option of putting anything in I want. That is the light I keep coming back to. I love it, just unsure about it

Back
Top Bottom