Upgrading lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

couture99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys I am in need of replacing my light fixture, and was wondering if this sounds ok- I have both coral and fish....

This MH ADV+ T5 48” is THE reefer’s light. A space saving combo unit combines 2x 250W HQI metal halide, 4x 54W Actinic Blue T5 HO lamps, and 6x Bluemoon LED into one single unit. This unit also features external HQI controller, heavy duty cooling fan, mounting legs, and anodized aluminum housing. Separate power cords for MH and T5. Multiple power switches for different functions.
48" Metal Halide ADV Plus 716W
This MH ADV+ T5 48” is THE reefer’s light. A space saving combo unit combines 2x 250W HQI metal halide, 4x 54W Actinic Blue T5 HO lamps, and 6x Bluemoon LED into one single unit. This unit also features external HQI controller, heavy duty cooling fan, mounting legs, and anodized aluminum housing. Separate power cords for MH and T5. Multiple power switches for different functions.
Features:
Dimensions - 47.50” x 13.75” x 3.00”
Dimensions w/brackets - 48.00” x 17.25” x 6.00”
Supports 2x 250W Metal Halide DE FC2 lamps
Supports 4x 54W T5 High Output (HO) lamps
Supports 6x dual Bluemoon LED
6x Power Switch (2xMH, 2x T5, 1x LED, 1x Fan)
5x Power Cord (2x MH, 1x T5, 1x LED, 1x Fan)
External HQI controllers
Internal T5 HO fluorescent ballasts
Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
Heavy duty cooling fan
Glass splash guard
Mounting legs
Standard T5 sockets
Double Ended FC2 HQI sockets
Highly polished reflector
CE Certified
Listing includes:
1x MH/T5 fixture and all ballasts
1x Mounting Leg Set (Free Item)
2x MH 250W 15000K (Free Item)
4x 54W T5 Actinic Blue (Free Item)
6x Dual LED (Free Item)

Does anyone have any experience with the "odyssea" brand? Found mixed reviews online, and value your opinions

I own 2 of their fixtures, their high end from a few years ago and their crappy cheap one they sell now. I gotta say I love them both.
BUT there are reports of their MH fixtures catching fire so I definetly don't recommend them. :-D

Their t5's have worked out great for me. Their current line is kinda shoddy but it gets the job done.

ThAts what I have read to...not sure I want to risk a house fire... Might have to splurge a bit more... Thanks for reply

Does anyone have any experience with the "odyssea" brand? Found mixed reviews online, and value your opinions

Odyssea products are not UL listed. Which means that they have not gotten product safety certification. They have had many issues with fixtures catching fire as Carey mentioned. I know the low cost is tempting but I would go against it.

Have you thought about LED lighting? I would consider it at least. I don't know much about sw aquariums, but it works for fw for sure. It saves energy and no fire hazard lol

Have you thought about LED lighting? I would consider it at least. I don't know much about sw aquariums, but it works for fw for sure. It saves energy and no fire hazard lol

I was going to suggest that but it looks like he was trying to save money. :lol:

I would love Led, but with my hubby back in school- and to little ones they are out of the question for now:( unless I find a money tree in my backyard soon lol

I would love Led, but with my hubby back in school- and to little ones they are out of the question for now:( unless I find a money tree in my backyard soon lol

DIY. This is not rocket science. 100 LED diode is ~£5 the PS is ~£8. you will need some wire, some fixture and you can put it together yourself. This project is not more then £30. I don't know the prices in $ but have a look on ebay.

I would go with T5's. :)

Try fishneedit.com they have 48" fixtures cheap. But they don't have the moonlights. I bought my odysseas' because of that. I spend ALOT of time at night watching

Found this LED set up on eBay, what do u think? Waste of $? Or good buy?
Going to ck out that website now Carey, do u know if they ship to canada?

Marineland Reef Capable LED System
36"-48" Model - includes 36 x 1 watt White LEDS and 6 x 1 Watt Blue LEDS

Adjustable to fit 36" to 48" wide aquariums.
Correct spectral output and intensity for Reef Aquariums
Specially designed polycarbonate lens to maximize light penetration within the aquarium
Mimics the effect of natural sunlight by providing a pinpoin light source that enhances the shawdow effect provided by water agitation on the surface of the aquarium.
Three mode switch for all on, all off, or lunar (night) light
Integrated heat sink pulls heat awar from the LEDs and aquarium.

Features
10,000K white and actinic blue LEDs
Sunlight and moonlight modes
Energy-efficient 1 watt LEDs
Polycarbonate lens
Integrated heat sink
Slim profile
50,000 lifetime hours
Low voltage, single power source
Flexible mounting system
One-year performance warranty

It says they ship to canada on their website. :)

What is it that you want to keep in the long run in your tank btw?

I was talking to husband- electrician by trade, and he is interested in the DIY route... Anyone know were I can find out what optimal set up would be- any pointers would be great! Thank you afain

carey said:
It says they ship to canada on their website. :)

What is it that you want to keep in the long run in your tank btw?

Right now I have a couple leathers, and mushrooms, and some zoas tank is 120gallon, and been up and running for couple years, would love a nem, and a clam eventually (my mated clowns host in a mushroom;)...currently running t5's but ballast shorted out so need to either repair or replace...

Ahh bummer. I feel your need now. If you want a nem you definitley need some serious ligthing on top of pristine water.

What are the measurements of your tank? You're looking at 48" fixture correct? I have a couple open on my screen right now, I'm shopping for a 72" fixture myself for corals.

Here's a couple links for some lights that should be great for what you want.
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures
Nova Extreme T5 HO Aquarium Lighting Fixtures | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
Aquarium HO T-5 Florescent Light Fixtures: WavePoint HO T5 Fluorescent 4 Lamp Lighting Fixtures

Not so sure about the last fixture, if it would be enough to penetrate a 120g, I assume your tank is pretty deep.

I'm sure one of the light experts will jump in soon. :-D

I know ;) I want the best I can afford, because I don't want to have to change it out within a yr... My tank is 48" long so I might go for a 36" light fixture... I'm interested in this DIY idea, just want to make sure I get enough lights the first time! Lol- I have an older 36" t5 that I put on the tank for now to keep coral happy, and may use it along with whichever fixture we go with or make-led appeals to me, but it's newer tech. I'm familiar with the t5's... Always something exciting in this hobby

I was talking to husband- electrician by trade, and he is interested in the DIY route... Anyone know were I can find out what optimal set up would be- any pointers would be great! Thank you afain

Search for LED diodes. I only have UK sources so fare and have a set of link at home I can send it to you, but most of the stuff comes from Taiwan anyway so that is closer to you. There is no optimal set fare as I concern, as it all depends what you want. I found that probably a combination of white red and blue gives the best resoult.

Back
Top Bottom