Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Upgrading lights

Hi guys I am in need of replacing my light fixture, and was wondering if this sounds ok- I have both coral and fish....

This MH ADV+ T5 48” is THE reefer’s light. A space saving combo unit combines 2x 250W HQI metal halide, 4x 54W Actinic Blue T5 HO lamps, and 6x Bluemoon LED into one single unit. This unit also features external HQI controller, heavy duty cooling fan, mounting legs, and anodized aluminum housing. Separate power cords for MH and T5. Multiple power switches for different functions.
48" Metal Halide ADV Plus 716W
This MH ADV+ T5 48” is THE reefer’s light. A space saving combo unit combines 2x 250W HQI metal halide, 4x 54W Actinic Blue T5 HO lamps, and 6x Bluemoon LED into one single unit. This unit also features external HQI controller, heavy duty cooling fan, mounting legs, and anodized aluminum housing. Separate power cords for MH and T5. Multiple power switches for different functions.
Features:
Dimensions - 47.50” x 13.75” x 3.00”
Dimensions w/brackets - 48.00” x 17.25” x 6.00”
Supports 2x 250W Metal Halide DE FC2 lamps
Supports 4x 54W T5 High Output (HO) lamps
Supports 6x dual Bluemoon LED
6x Power Switch (2xMH, 2x T5, 1x LED, 1x Fan)
5x Power Cord (2x MH, 1x T5, 1x LED, 1x Fan)
External HQI controllers
Internal T5 HO fluorescent ballasts
Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
Heavy duty cooling fan
Glass splash guard
Mounting legs
Standard T5 sockets
Double Ended FC2 HQI sockets
Highly polished reflector
CE Certified
Listing includes:
1x MH/T5 fixture and all ballasts
1x Mounting Leg Set (Free Item)
2x MH 250W 15000K (Free Item)
4x 54W T5 Actinic Blue (Free Item)
6x Dual LED (Free Item)

Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Does anyone have any experience with the "odyssea" brand? Found mixed reviews online, and value your opinions

Old 05-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I own 2 of their fixtures, their high end from a few years ago and their crappy cheap one they sell now. I gotta say I love them both.
BUT there are reports of their MH fixtures catching fire so I definetly don't recommend them.

Their t5's have worked out great for me. Their current line is kinda shoddy but it gets the job done.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

ThAts what I have read to...not sure I want to risk a house fire... Might have to splurge a bit more... Thanks for reply
Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture99 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the "odyssea" brand? Found mixed reviews online, and value your opinions
Odyssea products are not UL listed. Which means that they have not gotten product safety certification. They have had many issues with fixtures catching fire as Carey mentioned. I know the low cost is tempting but I would go against it.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Have you thought about LED lighting? I would consider it at least. I don't know much about sw aquariums, but it works for fw for sure. It saves energy and no fire hazard lol
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attiland View Post
Have you thought about LED lighting? I would consider it at least. I don't know much about sw aquariums, but it works for fw for sure. It saves energy and no fire hazard lol
I was going to suggest that but it looks like he was trying to save money.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would love Led, but with my hubby back in school- and to little ones they are out of the question for now unless I find a money tree in my backyard soon lol
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture99 View Post
I would love Led, but with my hubby back in school- and to little ones they are out of the question for now unless I find a money tree in my backyard soon lol

DIY. This is not rocket science. 100 LED diode is ~£5 the PS is ~£8. you will need some wire, some fixture and you can put it together yourself. This project is not more then £30. I don't know the prices in $ but have a look on ebay.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would go with T5's.

Try fishneedit.com they have 48" fixtures cheap. But they don't have the moonlights. I bought my odysseas' because of that. I spend ALOT of time at night watching

Tags
light, lights, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com