Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZMOSPAZZ View Post
Great to know. Thanks!!
Yea I wanted to save you the aggravation. I was so mad when it didn't fit right. I went with 2 ac70s also and for future reference the ac70 dose not fit my 75 only the ac110. And I agree with you 2 filters is better than 1 same for heaters. If something is going to fail it will when you leave for a week vacation. also I think the 110 would be way too much current for a goldie even turned down.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wanted to ask about the noise problem that I've read about. Some people say that there is virtually no sound from ACs while others says they make a very audible vibration. This is supposedly intensified by the top of the filter, so many people just don't put it on. Any experience with ACs being very noisey?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZMOSPAZZ View Post
I wanted to ask about the noise problem that I've read about. Some people say that there is virtually no sound from ACs while others says they make a very audible vibration. This is supposedly intensified by the top of the filter, so many people just don't put it on. Any experience with ACs being very noisey?
Right. The lid can rattle and/or intensify the sound. I use my lid but I put a rubberband around the filter to hold it on tight and dampen any resonant sound. It is nearly silent that way. I have to be right next to it to hear it at all. I've seen people weight the lid. Some lids are noisier than others. I've had a lid in the past that didn't rattle at all.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

My lid made very little noise, you can put a rubber band around it needed. The impeller one mine was VERY loud when I first got it but it will usually quiet down soon or you can lubricate the impeller shaft with Vasaline. After a month or so of use a slime coat should build on the shaft and quiet it down all the way. The lid on mine didn't rattle much, but did intensify the sound. I just used plastic wrap instead of the lid. I can't hear mine now unless I put my ear right up beside it.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only my 110 has a little noise my 70, 50 and 30's are silent. I replaced emperor 400's that were terribly loud with the 110's I have a slight hum from the 110 and noticed that if i put a little pressure on the lid it is a little less.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good luck with your new tank and filter! Have you bought the tank yet? And yes AC ar really good filter, be sure to post some pics! Im dying to see some pics, good luck again!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow, thank you everyone for all the great replies!

We did get our new tank today, which I'm really excited about. We got one of the last two they had left. This was the first day of the sale, and we were in the door within a half hour of opening.

Unfortunately, we still haven't decided on a stand that we both like yet. We are really indecisive. So, if you know of any really good stands or sites for stands, that would be helpful. Our stand for the 10g is rated for a 20g, and we know it is sunken in the middle a little. The doors on it kind of stick together when you open it now. When we put it together, they were very easy to open. We really don't want a mishap due to a poor stand, especially with a 55g tank.

We did decide on 2 AC 70s, which we are pretty happy with. They're obviously still in the boxes at this point, but we feel good about our decision to go with them. We bought 2 24" hoods since our tank has the bar in the middle. We also decided to grab a magnetic algae scrubber. (Our tank is glass) We've never had one before, but we had a friend recommend it. So we decided to go for it. We are getting the gravel and air pump tomorrow.

Hopefully, we will be ordering a stand by tomorrow evening so that we can start cycling our tank soon. I can't wait to grab a few decorations for it. I'm thinking maybe a piece of driftwood and a few rocks. We are definitely going to try to have a planted tank. It's going to be tricky with our fish buddy; he likes to redecorate his way. (Comet goldfish). He doesn't eat the plants, he just likes to pull them up. I'm pretty sure he has made it a game at this point.

Anything really important that I'm missing, please let me know!

Whenever we finally get everything and get it together, I'll definitely post a few pics. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds good. Remember with the roomy box of the AC 70s you should be able to "seed" at least one of them with some of your old filter media for an almost instant cycle. Just build up your stock slowly enough so your beneficial bacteria can build up as your bio load increases. Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

P.S. No stand recommendations. I think finding good, affordable stands is more difficult than shopping for tanks. My tank cost more than my stand, but only because it is acrylic. My stand costs more than a normal glass tank for its size would have.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stands are crazy expensive and most are just pressed fiberboard with laminate. We do not want a metal stand. We want a black wooden stand that is going to be sturdy. We don't want another buckling stand. Still trying to find a stand we both agree on.

Also trying to determine what we want to attach to the air pump - disc, wand, stone, etc.

Btw, we also grabbed some java fern while we were out today. We want to see if our fish will leave it alone before we buy more for a 55g.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

LFS's usualy have the pine stands like mine. The 55 black cost me $119.00

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130901_222749.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	195958

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com