Upgrading Tank - Best HOB Filter 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My local fish store charges about 280 for their cheapest 55g stand. I saw one for 500. It had a canopy on the floor model, so I thought for sure it was for both. Nope. Canopy sold separately. I decided at that point I was definitely not getting my stand there.

Thanks for the idea though!

I would consider one hob AC70. One small internal filter with air tube type. That's my setup. We do travel. AC NEEDS PRIME when power out for 1 min. Internal filter fix the issue. I bought mine from eBay $14.00 80gph. They have bigger one. With air tube. I won't worry about power issue .

I would consider one hob AC70. One small internal filter with air tube type. That's my setup. We do travel. AC NEEDS PRIME when power out for 1 min. Internal filter fix the issue. I bought mine from eBay $14.00 80gph. They have bigger one. With air tube. I won't worry about power issue .

I have never had to prime any of my AC filters as long as the water level is with in 1" of the output. unless i do a water change but then all HOB's need to be filled back up.

Great to know. I will check mine. That's a big help for me. Thanks!

Great advice! Thank you.

I think we finally decided on a stand. Hopefully we will start setting it up on Tuesday after work.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll be sure to post a pic of the new tank when we get it up and running. If I can get a decent pic of Iso in his little 10g now, I'll post that too.

Here is Iso in his 10g.

ForumRunner_20130902_012430.jpg

ForumRunner_20130902_012437.jpg

Hopefully this works. I've never posted a pic on this website.

Im sure all will go well and Iso will be very happy in his/her new home. Congrats on the 55G.

Took me a week to build mine for under 25 dollars. It has a steel support stand hidden behind the wood. I am a welder so thats how I got the medal stand I built myself. Its for a 75 gallon tank. I drilled peices of wood on to the medal stand to make it look better then spray painted it black. I still have to drill the doors on though.

Attachments

• 20130902_141846.jpg
    20130902_141846.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20130902_141840.jpg
    20130902_141840.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 75
And your fish looks EXCELLENT! congrats on the new tank.
your 10 gallon is beautiful!

Thank you!

I like that your stand also doubles as a shoe rack. Very clever.

Just out of curiosity, why did you not want a canister filter? They do so much work for tanks that size and are so much quieter. I had to replace our canister and had a HOB on a 40 for about a month. I hated the noise. I can't imagine that as a permanent solution... Just curious.

Hello Gizmo,

Welcome to AA. My vote for your new 55 gallon (and the best of luck with that) in terms of power filtration would be an Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 along with either an AquaClear 70 or 110.

I have never had to prime any of my AC filters as long as the water level is with in 1" of the output. unless i do a water change but then all HOB's need to be filled back up.

No, not ALL HOBs -- the Aqueon QuietFlow line has an INTERNAL pump which is submerged inside the tank and water and the filter reprimes itself EVERY time the power is shut off. It's a great feature and I wish the AquaClears were like this; you state you never had to prime any of your AquaClears but I find that difficult to believe as that no matter where the water level sits upon fill up, like the other member mentioned it's a matter of these filters SITTING for one or more minutes without power/water that require them to be reprimed with water. However, my 110 model acts strangely sometimes, after some water changes starting up even though it's been longer than a minute the power is off while at other times refusing to start and making that "choking" sound that requires me to prime it...:blink: :banghead:

Here is Iso in his 10g.

View attachment 195961

View attachment 195962

Hopefully this works. I've never posted a pic on this website.

Hi Again Giz,

Iso is adorable! Congrats on a gorgeous member of your aquatic family!

I do notice -- unless it's just my eyes and/or computer monitor -- somewhat of a "bulge" on his side by the glass, just before his gills...does he exhibit this when you look at him in person?

No, not ALL HOBs -- the Aqueon QuietFlow line has an INTERNAL pump which is submerged inside the tank and water and the filter reprimes itself EVERY time the power is shut off. It's a great feature and I wish the AquaClears were like this; you state you never had to prime any of your AquaClears but I find that difficult to believe as that no matter where the water level sits upon fill up, like the other member mentioned it's a matter of these filters SITTING for one or more minutes without power/water that require them to be reprimed with water. However, my 110 model acts strangely sometimes, after some water changes starting up even though it's been longer than a minute the power is off while at other times refusing to start and making that "choking" sound that requires me to prime it...:blink: :banghead:

When doing a water change Yes I have to refill the filter with water for it to start. If I walk over to any of my tanks right now and unplug the filter wait a min. or an hour I can plug it back in and it will start on its own with no assistance from me. I can post a video of this if you like.

Hi Again Giz,

Iso is adorable! Congrats on a gorgeous member of your aquatic family!

I do notice -- unless it's just my eyes and/or computer monitor -- somewhat of a "bulge" on his side by the glass, just before his gills...does he exhibit this when you look at him in person?

It's just his coloration and the size of the pic that makes it look like a bulge. He's a happy, healthy little fish. He had an extreme case of fin rot when we got him. We nursed him back to health. :) You might be able to see how bad it was when we rescued him from this pic.

ForumRunner_20130903_172139.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why did you not want a canister filter? They do so much work for tanks that size and are so much quieter. I had to replace our canister and had a HOB on a 40 for about a month. I hated the noise. I can't imagine that as a permanent solution... Just curious.

We decided that we liked our current hob and wanted to get another one.

It's just his coloration and the size of the pic that makes it look like a bulge. He's a happy, healthy little fish. He had an extreme case of fin rot when we got him. We nursed him back to health. :) You might be able to see how bad it was when we rescued him from this pic.

View attachment 196265

Awesome! I was just worried that I saw something...but I am so happy that he's healthy and doing well! (y)

When doing a water change Yes I have to refill the filter with water for it to start. If I walk over to any of my tanks right now and unplug the filter wait a min. or an hour I can plug it back in and it will start on its own with no assistance from me. I can post a video of this if you like.

Strange; well, as I said, my 110 is very tempermental in that way...sometimes it will start up after a water change that may take 20 or so minutes, while other times it makes the "choking" noise, requiring me to pour water in to prime it...

Back
Top Bottom