Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Upgrading Tank - Best HOB Filter 55g?

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I have a shubunkin goldfish named Iso. (Pronounced ice-o) He is set up in a 10g tank with a great hob filter and live plants. Very temporary living arrangements. We know it's way too small for him.

Please don't panic, tomorrow we are getting a 55 gallon tank. He is still quite small, but we are upgrading now. Petco has their $1 per gallon sale starting tomorrow! We know that this is only the tank. We are getting a hood, air pump, airstones, live plants, rocks, etc.

So, we need some expert advice though...
What would be the best hob filter for our new 55g tank?

I know a lot of people have said two filters are better than one. We are thinking of putting our current filter on one side of the tank just to help with water circulation. We want the new filter to at least be 55/550 though. We definitely have decided on a hob filter. We don't want a canister or under gravel.

Please ask any questions you have.

Also, our budget for the new tank, stand, accessories, and everything else is around $500. With the tank being on sale, we can kind of splurge on the best for our fish buddy.

Recommendations on air pumps, hoods, and plants are always welcomed too. We've done a lot of research, but it's always nice to know more.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think my fluvial aqua clear power filter is great. It is for 40-70 gallons and does 300 gallons per hour! And it is only 50 bucks. It also has an adjustable water flow.

Air stones are not necessary as long as your filters break through the surface you are fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-765399307.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	195666  

Old 08-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I vote for the Aquaclear series, too. I have an AC 50 and I run an AC 30 on my 10 gallon quarantine tank. With a goldfish, the more filtration the better. I'd get the AC 70 at the least and run your other filter as well. I only use an airstone when I need additional aeration. For example with some medications, a bacterial or algal bloom, or with a raised temp for treating ich. Sadly, I have ich in my quarantine right now and am running an airstone because I need to keep the temp at 86 F.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've been researching more since I've posted. I'm thinking we might go with an AquaClear 50 and an AquaClear 70. Any thoughts on that combination?

Thanks for those that have posted thus far. They've been a great help. I was already thinking AquaClear.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would recommend AquaClear. I would get the AquaClear 70. I believe they make a AquaClear 110 also. I would get the 110 if you can afford it, but the 70 would probably be fine too.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZMOSPAZZ View Post
I've been researching more since I've posted. I'm thinking we might go with an AquaClear 50 and an AquaClear 70. Any thoughts on that combination?

Thanks for those that have posted thus far. They've been a great help. I was already thinking AquaClear.
I would just get an AquaClear 110 over a 50 and 70. That combo would be ok, but it seems pointless to get that combo when you could just get a single 110 filter.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was thinking the 110, but I think we will get two new filters instead of one. So we would be getting the 70 and the 50. Combined that would be 500gph. Plus it will be a planted tank, which will also aid in filtration.

Also, if one of the filters happens to fail while we are away, the other one will still be there.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZMOSPAZZ View Post
I was thinking the 110, but I think we will get two new filters instead of one. So we would be getting the 70 and the 50. Combined that would be 500gph. Plus it will be a planted tank, which will also aid in filtration.

Also, if one of the filters happens to fail while we are away, the other one will still be there.
That should be just fine!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ac 50 does not fit properly over the trim on top of the tetra 55 gallon at petco You have to force it and it only goes over part way. Get 2 ac70s if you go that route. I have it so im not repeating something i heard I enden up using the 50 on my 15 gallon milti tank.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great to know. Thanks!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com