Upgrading tank time... price opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok. Im about ready to make the 1st step towards a larger tank: buying the tank. lol.

Im buying the parts one by one and im going to start with a reef ready tank, All-Glass™ MegaFlow™ seems like a good option, but I am open to suggestions.

I got a quote from my LFS for a 125 gallon fitted with dual overflows (the 6 foot long one) for $430 and then I guess each over flow needs the overflow accessory kit @ $50/per so $530 for all-said-and-done. From what I've seen this sounds to be about on par and I could probably get the tank for $500 or maybe less. I dont know if I could get this tank cheaper online, so your opinions are welcome.

So what do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Personally, I'd look around for a used tank before buying a new setup. As for getting a new tank cheaper online, shipping for a large one would almost certainly cost more than any savings on selling price. Craiglist is a good place to check for used tanks, and you may be able to get the whole setup for a much better price. The average price for used tanks is around $1/gallon, but you have to consider what else is (or isn't) included if looking at a whole setup.

I paid approximately $475 for a 120g will dual overflows. The LFS threw in the MegaFlows for $30 apiece. Mind you I also purchased the stand and canopy. You may be able to find the tank in one of the buy/sell forums from one of the online reef sites.

Back
Top Bottom