upgrading to a 150 (filtration?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeybuzz2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be upgrading to a 150 gallon.... FOWLER tank.. I'm going to have Live sand....add about 100 lbs of live rock.... I was thinking of running 2 emperor 400's with the biowheels, And at least one, if not two magnum 350 canister filter, one canister will be run continuous, the other used with the micron cartridge.. also i will have power heads( not sure which one yet....any recomendations) Is this going to be adequate filtration??? I will also buy around 15, 5 gallon nutri seawater to help Jump the bacteria with the live sand, and the rest of the water will be mix with instant ocean. I will use the same domino damsel that is in my 55 to cycle the tank, leave him solo for about 6-8 weeks, then add more fish..... My question is the filtration going to be adequate, or should i go with a different filtration set up????

A 150 needs to have a refugium instead of the emperors. It would be better for your tank. you can use bio balls or as others have suggested use live rock rubble. Also please dont cycle your tank with a live fish

I think a single damsel in a 150 gal with 100 lbs LR would never even cause an ammonia spike... but I have no experience/evidence to back it up. If you get cured LR without much die-off then you won't even have a cycle.

Ok nice article...I've never used a fishless cycle, but i think i'll try it..... Is It true that with live sand and live rock, and also using the ocean water sold at the stores that the tank wont see a cycle???( As claimed on the package that the ocean water and live sand state??) Its a lot more expensive versus using salt mix though...... Also my question on filtration?? I is it enough?? I dont know too much on the refugium system, is that the only way for a 150?

You will see a cycle unless it is precured, and very fresh. As for the Biowheels, I would think of replacing them for the future, it will really make water changes less frequent. With a 150 you probably should get a sump, think of it as a future investment. Also I recommend adding alot of LR, It looks good and It does most of your filtration + get something to improve flow maybe a few powerheads.

Well I just tried to post a new topic, But it said forbidden...that I wasnt authorized to post any new topics. Strange does anyone know what this means?????

Well my question was about undergravel filtration....Why exactly is undergravel filters considered primitive technology??? My father is "old school" and said he couldnt imagine having a set-up without undergravel filters... can anyone help me or him, or us both with some feedback....thanks!!!!!

undergravel filters are old school and are not recommended anymore. And if your going with a SB they will not work because the sand goes through the UG filter filling the space. UG filter not a good idea.

Do some reading on sumps, IMO the best wat to go and you will not need any HOB filters or canister filters. Maybe only a couple PH for flow and that is it.
Tank needs to be drilled or you can use a overflow box. If you did not buy the tank yet look at a reef ready tank. A sump also gives you a place for the heater, skimmer and other equipment to be hidden. A fuge is also a good idea to help with nitrate control. *Fuge and sump are 2 different things* They can be combined into one unit if large enough.
LS may help with the cycle being quicker but NSW IMO no it will not help, bacteria grows on the surface of objects, sand, LR, tank walls. Bacteria is not free floating and the amount you MAY get in water is not enough to justify spending $$$ on. Go with a salt mix and spend your money on a sump......
Bioballs are not needed if your using LR.....

Back
Top Bottom