UPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was just wondering what kind of UPSs you all use for back up power. I am planning on getting 2 for my new tank. One for the phs and one for the heaters. I am not in the market for a generator, yet. When I am, I will definitely make a new post.

I don't use a UPS on my tank, but I have several for computers at work. I'd highly recommend an APC (www.apc.com). If you calculate your total wattage, you can plug it in at their website to find out how long each of their systems will keep you running.

I work for a computer reseller and would recommend APC as the best line of UPS units out there. I'm planning on getting a couple of them myself for my tanks. The models I want are the BR1500 for my fish room with seven tanks and the BE500R for my living room that has a single tank.

I have a bunch of APC 1500VA's and they work great. Though I've never had the need, you can even expand it with an add-on battery pack APC sells for it. I also have had good luck with the higher capacity Cyberpower UPS's.

Cool, I bought one this weekend. I will be using it for my heaters and phs. One question. If I got the 300Watt one, and each heater is 150W, does that mean if I plug them both in, that will be all I can use?

Yes, if both heaters are running then they consume 300 w total.

Also keep in mind that electric motors (like the ones in pumps) are bad on UPS's. I would not suspect a very long life on those units.

(Taken from a former member of the Geek Squad ;) )

Yeah, I kind of figured that. I only have two phs on one UPS. I also have my timer, for my lights on it, only problem there is the lights are 932W! LOL! I guess the only way that would work is if I am actually home when the power goes out, so that I can tunr them off....maybe I should rethink that set up. I just wanted a back up for the actual time, not the light, but I guess that is not such a big deal. I'll move it tonight and just leave the two phs on it.

Back
Top Bottom