Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award
Upside Down and Rotated Pictures

Every now and then we see cases where images posted here appear upside down or rotated to the left or right. Typically this occurs with pictures taken from mobile devices. Using my iPhone, I decided to do a little experiment. Here are my results. I am a bit surprised about what I've found. 🤔
The picture below is a screenshot of 4 separate pictures I took with an iPhone 5S. I emailed the images to a non-iPhone device (Windows PC) and opened each attachment in the order that they were taken: The images are labels "0", "90", "180", and "270". They correspond with holding the camera phone in the standard "profile" position ("0") and then rotating CLOCKWISE 90 degrees for the subsequent images ("90", "180", "270").
The only image that looks correct is the one labeled "270". That is taking the phone (in portrait position) and rotating clockwise 270 degrees or counter-clockwise 90 degrees. For an iPhone, the volume control buttons would be at the bottom and the device would take pictures in landscape mode.
Hmmm...if this is an accurate test, then this means I've been taking pictures the "wrong" for years! When I email them to myself they look fine (on my iPhone). I typically email pics to myself to reduce the image size and then post them to a third party image hosting site (Imgur) and post the link here. However, when images are emailed to others, I get a complaint here and there..."Dude, your pics are upside down!" I always thought it was "their problem". Perhaps it wasn't. I found this very enlightening.
If you've experienced this problem, you may want to try rotating your mobile device and seeing which images come out correct. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, pic, picture, pictures, psi, rot, upside down

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com