Urgent HELP w/Aquatop CF500UV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone have issues with restarting their Aquatop CF500UV after power shuting it down. Water is in the filter and the filter is primed. All i get is clacking sound from the motor/impleller. This is the third time this has happend. Twice while cleaning and once after a power outage. The first time I contacted aquatop customer service and they talked me through checking the impeller and rocking the filter back & forth and after a while it starting working correctly. This time I've been at it for about an hour and it's still making the noise as well as not pumping any water. If I can't get it working by morning I'm going to take a hammer to it and mail this crap back to TruAqua. I guess I'll just have to go and buy an over priced Fluval FX5 which I should have purchased in the first place.:banghead:.

What really makes me angry is that I've recommend this filter to so many people and it's turning out to be crap:mad:.

Help!!!!!!

Hi. Have you tried opening it and filling it with water to the very top again then filling the hoses before connecting to the top of the canister? Also check the connections to see if they are sucking in air where they join. I had this problem with my new sunsun canister. Took me a good 45 minutes to prime correctly and get started.

Thanks for the quick response. The canister is filled with water and their are no leaks/air leaks in the connections. I'll try filling the hoses with water before connecting and see if that works.

coalcut said:
Thanks for the quick response. The canister is filled with water and their are no leaks/air leaks in the connections. I'll try filling the hoses with water before connecting and see if that works.

I've found that to be the hardest thing to do. Do you keep the valve at the bottom of the hoses closed when you disconnect from the canister? That way they stay full of water and you don't have to worry about priming them again.
What I do is close value, disconnect hoses, take canister to be cleaned, when finished fill canister to the top with tank water, close lids, attach hoses and valve, open valve, turn on canister and press prime button repeatedly then rock back and forth to release air.

Finally got it working after an hour and 20 minutes (Wow!!!). Topped off canister, removed and reinstalled impiller, made sure hoses were still filled with water, reinstalled top of unit (lots of water spilled due to over filling the canister), reconnected the hoses/valve, primed the unit and restarted. For a quick second it made that horrible sound and then it kicked in (ahhh... piece an quite at last). I still don't know which step got it working.

This filter is great while it's running. The problem is getting it up and running. This shouldn't have to happen. If I have to go through this everytime I turn the filter off I'm just going to have to get another filter.

Thanks for your help:)

was wondering how long you have had the filter, i have had mine up and running for 7 months with no issues, just wondering if i should expect the same soon? i struggled with the purchase but you cant beat the cost so i gambled. Glad to hear you got it worked out.

Scubaboy21,

I've had my filter for about 7-8 months. As I stated eariler when it's running it great but, if I ever have to shut it down (this time was to swap out an extention cord) it's a pain getting it started again.

Have you had to shut down and restart your filter yet?

Yes many times an I do get the same clicking but only go a few seconds one for a min or so. I am working on a sump plan but not planning on it being done till summer I like this canister but haven't heard much from other owners your the first I have really talked to with the same model.

I have a couple of hob's that do that same thing. Until all the air is out of the tubes it sounds awful.

Glad you got the situation under control. (y)

Back
Top Bottom