Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

used 125g, silicone separating, missing bottom plastic trim..how to use?

Picked up a used aquarium...learnt there's a reason people sell tanks..
I notice right at the top, the silicone right between the two panes of glass is separating, you can see when you push on the glass the void closes up. I assume the void goes all the way to the top. I dont see the glass move. I was planning on redoing in inner seal any how.

Further, the bottom plastic trim ring is broken and missing the 18" long side. I always heard the plastic rings are just to prevent chipping of the corners, or does it actually help to brace the tank? I was planning on taking off the whole bottom plastic trim and just nestling the tank into my custom wood stand I am making for it that would hug it around all ends.

Other than getting a new tank, what do you guys recommend I do?

further thought, what about no trim on the bottom and just placing it on a piece of 1" insulating foam laid over my stand? The foam will take up any irregularities from the wood, and support the entire underside of the tank.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would do exactly what you just said and redo the silicone inside the tank as for the frame if it isn't totally busted off I would leave it or buy a new one. The bottom frame helps prevent pressure points on the glass that could cause it to crack

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

so your not too concerned about that void right there?

How about removing the bottom frame and just placing the whole deal on a piece of 1" thick home insulation foam? My frame is basicaly a large rectangular frame with two braces in between.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would just cut off the access silicone in the tank and re silicone it and buy a new bottom frame because there cheap. You just don't want the glass against the stand is all

Old 05-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

i called two LFS, they said they COULD get it but woudl take 6+ week! 0.o
Old 05-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would just cut off the access silicone in the tank and re silicone it and buy a new bottom frame because there cheap. You just don't want the glass against the stand is all

Old 05-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Fish R friends, not food!

www.glasscages.com sells trim and premade frames. Check them out. I wouldn't use a tank without a frame that was meant to have one. Just my $.02.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry phone said it couldn't send

Old 05-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #9

glass cages max size they have is 48x12.
As an engineer, I am looking at this plastic trim. I don't see any wya this can support the tank, in any way other than a beauty piece, and to protect the edge of the glass while handling. Not to mentioned its barely held together at the edges, where its weakest point would be. If the tank starts pushing out, that corner will split whether you want it to or not.
Now I do have a center glass brace on top. my tank is .5" thick glass. Could it survive without it? probably, Id have to calculate it, but I like to overbuild things myself, don't like to leave stuff to "ehh..seems good enough"

Going back to the plastic trim, my two options are:
one way or another I will be placing this on inch thick house insulating foam, to alleviate any hi spots in the stand and let the tank sit as flat as possible.

1) I build my own trim out of MDF 3/4" 90 degree trimming, or oak. Its going to be stronger than the dinky plastic any way, but-again not necessary I think. The tank will basically be only supported around the outer perimiter of the tank, which I believe is how most are held.
2) take the plastic bottom trim off, and just place the whole thing flat on my 1" foam. Make the edging on my stand sit nice and tight against the glass, creating a much stronger edging than the stock plastic, or even my oak trim could provide.

I just am still scared of that void in the silicone there. I ordered some GE SC1200 in clear, I will reseal it, then place the tank outside on my concrete patio on a scrap piece of foam over some 2x4, fill it to the top..and keep an eye on it for a week..
Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
www.glasscages.com sells trim and premade frames. Check them out. I wouldn't use a tank without a frame that was meant to have one. Just my $.02.

I also recommend this site I've bought from them with no problems they also sell replacement glass. Beware of buying a frame from a lfs because unless they have suppliers that sell them they will just be ordering online probably off this site or a similar site and they will just add on to the price to make profit. So instead of paying for the glass and shipping you will be paying glass, shipping, and whatever additional money the lfs wants to charge

Tags
bottom, missing, plastic, rim, silicone, trim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com