used 38 gallon all glass tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clynnking

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased this tank 36X13X19 today from a private party. It has the fake oak trim around the outside and appears to be in great shape. I noticed that the top support (in middle of tank-holds front to back) seems "loose or stretched" not cracked or broken. Will this be ok when I fill it? Seems like it sould be a little loose if no pressure on it when empty. My purchased included all the supplies needed to set it up including a penguin bio wheel filter. Should I use the bio wheel they had since it may contain good bacteria? It has been sitting in this gentlemens garage for over a year so I am not sure what to think.
Also included is an undergravel filter which I plan to toss. I never liked those and not sure why they would have both filtration systems anyway- maybe they took the under gravel out and replaced with bio wheel HOB. He advertised it as a 30 gallon but what I can find by these dimensions it is a 38 gallon. Does that sound right?:fish2:

Yes, the measurements work out to 38 gallons. ( LxWxH/231) As far as the center strap, you should be fine if it is intact. I have a 37 ( taller , but 6" narrower) where it's center strap has been broken for over a year with no issues. Just keep an eye out for bowing.

It's up to you about the biowheel. If it's been dry for so long, all the bacteria are long gone, so it's just the same as if it were new. I have an Emperor 280 with an integrated biowheel, and it seems to be fine as long as I keep the spraybar clear.

Thanks for the response. I am wondering tho. It came with a 36 in light fixture that fits into the cover. The bulb is probably getting warm and causing the fading of that support piece. Also the bulb is a single flourescent and is centered in the 36 inch top. Wonder if that will be enough light for live plants and also consider that maybe (2) 18 inch lights might be better. The tank is 19 inches high but only 12 deep. Wondering if the depth will be a problem for aquascaping.

If you have a powerhead keep the underground. My tanks have both underground and aquaclears. The underground with give the tank more filtration, and circulate the water, my powerheads go right to my intake for my aquaclears. More filtration the better imo

I have a 38 and a 40, both with the same footprint (36x12). The 38's top brace always was a bit slack, and the 40's was misssing when I got the tank. Both were set up and running for years w/out any problems, recently retired the 38 and put up a 90.
I use sand substrate now, but when I used gravel I had UG filter plates in most of my tanks. The PennPlax or Perfecto plates (not the flat plates) with an aquaclear 70 or 110 hob filter keeps the area under the plates clean. The debris ends up in the filter sponges, and gets rinsed out with partial water changes.

Now I am confused. Years ago I used undergravel filters only and I was told that the theory behind them had changed. LFS felt that the undergravel filter harbored ich disease that could not be removed because it was under the gravel and the ich would reoccur. At that point they also had HOB filters that had floss and liquid carbon too so maybe times have changed? Sounds like you are in favor of undergravel.:(:ermm:

No one is quite sure how Ich seems to appear out of nowhere, but I've had unexplained outbreaks of it in tanks w/out UG filters, so I can't blame them for harboring the bugs. UG filters do make a great biological filter, and keep your water crystal clear. You do need to siphon the gravel regularly to keep it clean, and there's usually a deeper layer for a UG filter, but that's just normal maintenance that needs to be done with or w/out the UG filter anyway. Some folks complain about the debris building up under the plate/s, but using a powerhead or hob filter will prevent that. So will a reverse-flow setup for that matter. I used UG filters for many years before switching to sand substrates, never had any particular problems with them.

I'll agree with toddnbecka and go so far to say the UG has nothing to do with ick or its spread. As far as the thoughts behind UG filtration, there a great thread here with a lively discussion:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/gathering-information-on-ugfs-162311.html
I agree that they can be awesome biological filters, but I feel that they become terrible mechanical filters and that they trap debris you can't get out. Regardless, there are strong opinions on both sides of the debate.

A fishes immune system is normally able to fight off normal disease and parasites. When a fish becomes stressed the immune system gets weaker making a fish more prone to getting a parasite. that's why some people use aquarium salt all the time to add a "stress coat" to the fish.
As far as an underground. Fish stores do not like it because they only perform one type of filtration, being biological. The water gets sucked through the gravel and has to go by all the good bacteria and get filtered.
Nowadays filters have three types of filtration maybe even more I don't know but I have a three stage filter with my underground. The first stage is mechanical filtration. This is where foam or floss is used to catch debris and particles. Then there is a carbon part which gets rid of smell of waste and the bacteria breaking things down. Next is biomax I believe. Not to sure I can't remember the name and don't want to search it up. But they are basically rocks that help produce the growth of beneficial bacteria which the water passes by.
But that's my opinion

UGFs perform biological and mechanical filtration. The gravel traps particles, much like the sand filter used for swimming pools, which are strictly mechanical.

True but the water current isn't that strong so you see more waste floating around. And it sometimes sets onto plants and ornaments and if there isn't a lot of current stays there for some time. When I like at two of my tanks that just how I feel.

Also if you look under the filter you can see debris under it. Atleast with mine.

Back
Top Bottom