Used canister filter vs. new Aquaclear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfelton22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been looking into some used canister filters on ebay for my freshwater tank and was wondering if you all would offer me your input. My tank is a 55 gallon (slightly brackish at the moment because we are battling ich) stocked with 5 comet goldfish of medium size ranging from 3-5 inches long, temporarily a male betta, and a small school of minnows around 1.5-2 inches long. I love my goldfish and have no intention of parting with them so I need some serious filtration. I am now aware that comets are not the best choice for aquariums as they are mainly pond fish but in the meantime until they outgrow my tank I have to accomodate them. I plan on creating a goldfish pond later on for them.

Back on subject, my current dinky walmart HOB filters just aren't cutting it. Ebay has some pretty good prices on used Marineland c220 (one lists for $55 plus $13 shipping), and the c360 listing for roughly $100 both used. There is also a Fluval 306 used for $80 plus $15 shipping. I am torn between a used canister from ebay and a Fluval Aquaclear 110 or two 70's to run on my tank. Petsmart has the medium Api Filstars on sale for around $90 right now, they are good for up to 55 gallon I think. I just don't have a lot of cash to dump into a filter right now and am looking for the best filtration I can afford. My budget is $100. Can you guys help me decide which route to take?

Thanks is advance!!

Edit: The Api Filster medium size is rated for tanks up to 75 gallon.

You can get a new aquaclear 110 for $80/free shipping on e-bay, max flow rate is 500 gph, and much easier to clean/maintain than a canister. You definitely want more, not less, flow to keep the water clean and oxygenated.
Aside from their eventual size, goldfish are cooler water fish, not suited to water temps much higher than 70.

you already have your tank overstocked with just the goldfish
and Bettas and gold fish don't mix
gold fish need the biggest fil;ter you can get
I would run 2 large hobs on that tank each rated 250 gal/hr , you don't want anything that you have to buy premade filters , with goldfish you will be replacing or changing the mechanical filtration weekly and you will need to clean the bio filtration on one filter one week and the other the next
a canister is more work to take apart but most you can fill with cheap pillow fiber that filters the dirt and foam and bio balls or tubes in the rest of the canister
I also put a foam filter over my intake tube as a pre filter that is fast to clean , adds biofiltering and keeps the rest of the filter cleaner longer

you already have your tank overstocked with just the goldfish
and Bettas and gold fish don't mix
gold fish need the biggest fil;ter you can get
I would run 2 large hobs on that tank each rated 250 gal/hr , you don't want anything that you have to buy premade filters , with goldfish you will be replacing or changing the mechanical filtration weekly and you will need to clean the bio filtration on one filter one week and the other the next
a canister is more work to take apart but most you can fill with cheap pillow fiber that filters the dirt and foam and bio balls or tubes in the rest of the canister
I also put a foam filter over my intake tube as a pre filter that is fast to clean , adds biofiltering and keeps the rest of the filter cleaner longer

I know that keeping goldfish with the betta isn't the best idea but as I said it is only temporary. The goldfish had ich from the get go and the betta was going into quarantine because I purchased him solely for my plant tank. Well upon closer inspection he had ich too right out of the gait (I bought him in a tiny tub at walmart because I felt sorry for him) and I had to use my only heater on my large main tank to heat the water in addition to using aquarium salt to combat the ich. I figured they would be fine temporarily and he is doing fine. The goldfish pay him no mind, and he pays them no mind. They eat fine together. He will be removed as soon as the treatment is over. As of now there are no more signs of ich but I am going to continue the treatment a few more days to make sure all the free swimmers are dead.

I am in the process of rehoming another goldfish or two, but I want to complete their treatment first so I will only have around 2 or 3, two females and a male probably. The minnows will eventually be done away with.. they were an accidental extra when I purchased my goldfish (long story).

So two Aquaclear 70's would work better than one Aquaclear 110? Just making sure before I place my order on Petsmart.com. I can get two 70's for around $72 plus tax, free shipping.. or one 110 for around $78 plus tax, free shipping. So either way I'm getting a good deal. Thanks for all your input.

Or 1 Aqua clear 110 with room for another later :p

I personally like Fluval C4's better

If buying a used canister, consider the price of media if it doesn't come with any.
My personal preference is a canister for bio (cleaned every 4 months) and an AC110 that I rinse in tank water weekly.

I like fluval canisters, but I'd buy new. Since they're not the cheapest, I've seen a lot of users happy with their SunSun canisters. However, in terms of HOB's, I'm with ScaryFatKidGT on this one, I strongly recommend the Fluval C4.

I like fluval canisters, but I'd buy new. Since they're not the cheapest, I've seen a lot of users happy with their SunSun canisters. However, in terms of HOB's, I'm with ScaryFatKidGT on this one, I strongly recommend the Fluval C4.

AMEN. Fluval C4 is phenomenal !!!!!!!!
I consider my AquaClear an absolute relic compared to the Fluval C.

Filter motors last a very long time but be careful if your used item is very old. If filter dies your fish could die with it if you are not home to catch it in time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

AMEN. Fluval C4 is phenomenal !!!!!!!!
I consider my AquaClear an absolute relic compared to the Fluval C.
The funny thing is they operate pretty much the same they just rearanged the filter media and somehow made it so you don't have to clean the darn motor all the time like I had to do with my Aquaclear. It would be cool if they made a C5.

SunSun on Amazon.com check'em out. I'm pleased with mine. Good, cheap, filtration!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just get the best canister you can. Eheim being the best usually then fluval and everything after that are all not bad still. Can't really go wrong unless the tank is in your room and noise is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom