Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Yao
Aquarium Advice Regular

Used equipment questions

I'm planning on buying a used 55 gallon tank, and the person selling is also selling their equipment. He has a Penguin Biowheel 330, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this filter is good for a 55 gallon, or should I not bother and just buy my own? Any recommendations? Also, what is an under cabinet filter? Someone else selling a 55 gallons said they have that, but I'm not sure what that even is.... Thanks! 8)

Old 02-13-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Its hard to say what an under the cabinet filter is as it could be a wet/dry filter or it could be a canister filter. Either would be stored under the cabinet but the two are very different.

To give better advice on if the Biowheel 330 will be good for the 55 it will be good to know what your intents are with the tank. Are you looking for freshwater, or saltwater. Community fish only or plants if its freshwater or what kind of saltwater tank if its salt. Depending on your ultimate use of the tank the filtration equipment thats best for the job can be very different.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Yao
Aquarium Advice Regular

It would be a freshwater thank. I would like to plant the tank, unless lighting is unbelievably expensive. I have 3 angels, 2 gouramis and 2 corys I can transfer from another tank, then I would add some new fish, undecided as to what yet. OR I was considering not transfering and starting a cichlid tank.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I were you, I would add additional filtration beyond the Penguin (or whatever the under cabinet filter is.

Don't toss either one because more filtration is never a bad thing. I have 3 HOB filters on my 75 gallon
Old 02-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think you need to get more info on this under the cabinet filter. A make/model will sufice.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #6
Yao
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, I just heard back from the guy. It's an under cabinet filter, Duval 340. Is this good?
Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I use a the same peguin on my 55 fw tank and it works fine. The water stays very still, if thats something that matters to your fish. The water is crystal clear, always.

Tags
equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com