Used filter questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just given an aquaclear 50 filter, I bought all the inside things (foam, carbon, and the white rock stuff lol (can't remember the name))
Anyways, the filter wasn't cleaned when I got it. I cleaned it as well as I could, got out most of the dried algae/crap I'm guessing... except I can't get the "U" part on the intake tube clean. If I rinsed it in hot water, and the whole system was dried for a long time before I was given it, could it still be dangerous to the fish? Or will any bacteria/dangers be eliminated from being dry for so long? (It was unused for at least 4 months)

I can't imagine you will see any problems based on what you described. I think you are safe.

Don't feel bad.. I can't get mine clean either. I'm going to be spray painting my intake tube black though, to alleviate this and help it blend in with the background ;)

GoldfishNewbie said:
I was just given an aquaclear 50 filter, I bought all the inside things (foam, carbon, and the white rock stuff lol (can't remember the name))
Anyways, the filter wasn't cleaned when I got it. I cleaned it as well as I could, got out most of the dried algae/crap I'm guessing... except I can't get the "U" part on the intake tube clean. If I rinsed it in hot water, and the whole system was dried for a long time before I was given it, could it still be dangerous to the fish? Or will any bacteria/dangers be eliminated from being dry for so long? (It was unused for at least 4 months)

I had that problem with my AC50, Petco has a double end brush on a flex rod. I just had to bend one of brush ends slightly to make it past the bend in the U-tube. Works great and it get the inside of the pick up tube completely clean in no time. I think it cost me $3 :).

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom