Used Fluval FX-5 Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matman1110

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a used tank and fx5 filter from someone. I plan to put in my african cichlids from my old tank into this one. He had completely different fish (guppies). What do i need to do with the fx5? Should i rinse out the dirty sponges and replace the filter media with new media? Or do i need to get new sponges too?

Also what type of filter media works best with af. cichlids?

I would move whatever filter you have on them now with them when you move them.

Clean out the FX5 very well. I would set it up with biomedia (Seachem Matrix) filling the bottom two trays and use fine mechanical/polishing media in the top try. This would be one or both of Fluvals fine/plishing pads for the FX5, filter floss, or 100% polyester pillow stuffing crammed in as tight as possible.

I would move whatever filter you have on them now with them when you move them.

Clean out the FX5 very well. I would set it up with biomedia (Seachem Matrix) filling the bottom two trays and use fine mechanical/polishing media in the top try. This would be one or both of Fluvals fine/plishing pads for the FX5, filter floss, or 100% polyester pillow stuffing crammed in as tight as possible.

Thanks for the quick response.

So i dont have to get new sponges for the FX-5, just rinse them out thouroughly?

When i decide to move my africans from my old tank, do i need to take the filter (Fluval 4 plus) out of that tank and set it up on the new tank before i put them in? If so how long should the fluval 4 plus run on the new tank before i put my africans in?

The filter should be moved at the same time as the fish.

If the sponges are in good condition you don't have to replace them. But they are cheap and last a long time, so if you want to replace them it wouldn't be a problem at all.

The filter should be moved at the same time as the fish.

If the sponges are in good condition you don't have to replace them. But they are cheap and last a long time, so if you want to replace them it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Do i need to run the fx5 on the new tank before i put my fish in? If so how long should it run? I heard that the tank needs to cycle and so forth before i can put my fish in. The last thing i want to do is kill any of my fish.

The tank will be instantly cycled as soon as you move the filter over with the fish. Effectively all the nitrifying bacteria are in the filter so as long as it moves at the same time you should not have any issues.

The FX5 can start running the same day the fish and filter are moved, no need to run it in advance.

The tank will be instantly cycled as soon as you move the filter over with the fish. Effectively all the nitrifying bacteria are in the filter so as long as it moves at the same time you should not have any issues.

The FX5 can start running the same day the fish and filter are moved, no need to run it in advance.

Even if the new tank is 78 more gallons than the old tank? My old tank was only 47g and this new one is 125g.

Yes. A tank is cycled based on the waste production, which is based on the bioload (weight of fish plus food). A tank is not cycled based on volume. It will be like you did a very large water change.

Yes. A tank is cycled based on the waste production, which is based on the bioload (weight of fish plus food). A tank is not cycled based on volume. It will be like you did a very large water change.

Ok thank you.

When can i safely remove the fluval 4 plus from the new aquarium so its only running on the fx-5? Or should i never remove it?

Back
Top Bottom