Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

used tank has brown area in the seal???

I just got a 55g that was a salt water tank I cleaned it out with vinegar and water real well but noticed in one corner the seal goes from a black to a brown area thats withered a little. so far no leak from the area and its a rear corner of the tank. Should I be worried about this ???

Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is just me but I reseal every used tank unless it's obvious it's been done recently

If you can tackle that I would try

Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ryan, Is it just like caulking a tub? what sealant do you use?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg75
Ryan, Is it just like caulking a tub? what sealant do you use?
Yes just like that a calking gun and a tube I use home hardware brand it says safe for aquariums right on it I think a lot of people here use GE silicone 1 as long as it has no anti mold or mildew on the tube it's good to use

I like to cut out all the old caulking and give it a good wash then start fresh silicone dosent stick to old silicone well if you need more help or directions just ask
Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i know its for my saltwater build but i have lots of pictures showing most of my steps best part is its only 4-5 pages deep and mostly pictures. and shows the silicone i used.

freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

If the silicone is black you will have to get a GE series 1200 silicone or similar. GE I doesn't come in black.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you all very much Ryan, coffee, and BillD. Ya the sides are all black but the bottom silicone is the normal transparant looking stuff. Thanks for all the GREAT info.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dont know how much help ive been but i wish i could have found the black silicone BillD was talking about to update the look of my tank.

Keep us posted on how it turns out for you!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

GE 1200 series silicone is available through jobbers and construction supply stores. It is usually sold by the case, but you may find it sold individually. It is a little more expensive than GE I but is significantly stronger. That of course is not important as far as inner seals go. I find it odd that the silicone on the bottom id different than the corner seams. It would seem that someone has run new silicone without stripping out all the old.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It may be, I had a friend look at it and he said naah your good thats newer silicone in there and it looks like it was placed good. He said the brown area was a little thinner but still looked structurely sound. I guess if it holds water for a week Ill go with it. I was ready to strip and re seal but he said It looks like the tank is either new or the silicone has been redone. I guess the next project is that the top glass pieces are just a hair too big and wont sit down in the recessed area.

Tags
seal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com