Used tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IShallNtEatFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
When getting a used tank from someone that you do not know should I take any special precautions? Do I need to scrub it or so? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance

I get used tanks all the time. :) I use a water/vinegar solution to clean mine. It's also good for getting calcium deposits off of the glass.

No problem! :) Also, you may want to take a good look at the sealant on the inside to make sure it's in good condition. And always do a leak test by filling it up with water and watch it for 24 hours (recommended) to make sure there are no leaks. With smaller tanks, I personally only do leak tests for a few hours.

That's cool! You might already know, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.. Always use 100% silicone and make sure there are no fungicides or anything like that in it. It will kill the fish if it does.

That's what I'm currently using. The only thing I don't like about it is that I got it in a tube and I find it hard to put a good sized bead of silicone down without messing up. :rolleyes: So I think next time I'll use the kind that I can use with a caulking gun. :)

Back
Top Bottom