Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
used tanks

I have been occasionally skimming local classifieds to see what tank prices are.
First, I noticed most listings are for complete setups (pump, etc), which is fine, but I'd rather use my own equip.

I am surprised about the prices on the few bare tanks I have found...people want almost $1/gallon. Um, I could get a new tank for that. Yeah, I know they probably price high to allow wiggle room on the price.

What do you guys think is fair for a used tank?? I was thinking half.

29gal FW
cowfish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
If it's just the tank alone then I wouldn't pay more than $0.50 per gallon, and less if it's old and grungy. It may no longer hold water if it's been in someone's basement for years. If it comes with stand, hood and filter I would pay more but then it depends on the quality and shape of the equipment. Is it a homemade stand that looks crummy? Is the filter junk or something you'd never use? Or, is it newer technology living that is worth the price of the tank and everything else that comes with it. I always try and negotiate much lower pointing out that $1.00/gallon is fine for new with a warranty.

cfosgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I tend to say for only a tank with no hood light filter etc 1$ a gallon is a great starting point! When arriving I look at the tank. If it's dirty, uncleaned, or looks old I will usually not pay more than 50 cents a gallon. If it is a nice tank, and they allow you to water test it before buying I usually don't mind paying right around 1$ a gallon. I'm in NYS and prices in the store for tanks alone are usually much more than 1$ a gallon. Hope this helps
SFAquariums1 is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com