Using a LED light w/ Moonlight Feature on a Timer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnRoscoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've interested in upgrading my lighting, and love the look of the LED fixtures that incorporate a moonlight. I'm used to running my lights on a lamp timer though, and it doesn't look like that would work to switch off the day light and on the moonlight. How do people take advantage of the moonlight? It seems that a predictable lighting schedule would be healthier than toggling switches on and off daily.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Either the Marinelands planted tank light has a built in timer or people have modded the Aqueon modular LED light bar to do this, idk if they used 2 timers or what.

My LED light has two separate timers in one unit, one for daylight and one for moonlight. I have it set to come on at 2pm and change over to moonlight at 10pm. It shuts off at midnight.

Kim

The new Ecoxotic E-Series has an integrated ramp timer that automatically does a sunrise/sunset and then to moonlight. It's a little spendy but powerful and feature rich.

My LED light has two separate timers in one unit, one for daylight and one for moonlight. I have it set to come on at 2pm and change over to moonlight at 10pm. It shuts off at midnight.

Kim

What make/model do you have Kim?

It looks like there are a few out there that do what I'm after. Hoping one of them is a good performer at a somewhat affordable price.

What make/model do you have Kim?

It looks like there are a few out there that do what I'm after. Hoping one of them is a good performer at a somewhat affordable price.

This was my first LED light. I chose the brand my Nation Geographic. It has a nice sleek look and has so far preformed perfect. I got it on sale for around a 100 dollars. Found it at Petsmart. I read the reviews first and many people were pleased with it.

Kim

Hmmm I wish the Ecoxotic didn't use PWM for dimming and was just fully regulated, can you see it blink/flash at lower brightnesses?and was just fully regulated

I have not seen mine blink or flash during the sunrise/sunset periods. You can see when the power level increases or decreases, sort of a step function, but it doesn't all of the sudden go to maximum brightness or full dark. My fish seem to appreciate the slow change in light. I know with my fluorescent they used to spaz out in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom