using a python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pantherspawn said:
I guess the lees one has "metal faucet connections" for an extra 8 bucks.

The Python advertises brass fittings...but honestly the only brass part is what screws into the faucet. The part that screws into that is the cheap plastic which sprays when under pressure. I've tried tightening it all up, but it still launches a small stream of water about 10 feet, lol. If you've got a few extra $'s, I'd go with one where the actual mechanics are brass...not just the fitting that connects to the faucet.

Don't get me wrong...I love my Python and couldn't live without it...but I'd have gone a different direction. I'll check out that Lees one, and I'll PM my buddy and see exactly what his is.

I see the Marina aquavac .. has brass fitting that attaches to the faucet but like you said only the attachment is brass.. the other parts connecting are plastic. Even the extra attachements only have "parts" of them being brass.. still looks like decent quality and it's only another ten bucks compared to python or aqueon

pantherspawn said:
I see the Marina aquavac .. has brass fitting that attaches to the faucet but like you said only the attachment is brass.. the other parts connecting are plastic. Even the extra attachements only have "parts" of them being brass.. still looks like decent quality and it's only another ten bucks compared to python or aqueon

Yeah, sorry. I was a little slow to post. I realized the same thing when I looked at it.

jetajockey said:
I put teflon tape on the fittings on my python and they don't leak. I wouldn't be able to do water changes without that thing.

I wonder if mine is defective somehow. There's a legitimate gap where you spin the bottom to reverse the flow. Teflon tape won't work in my situation...but a great idea for others. I just can't let my girl do it...she put so much Teflon tape on the outside hose nozzle once that I couldn't get the sprayer off to save my life. When the sprayer broke, I had to go to Home Depot and buy a brand new hose, haha.

I wonder if mine is defective somehow. There's a legitimate gap where you spin the bottom to reverse the flow. Teflon tape won't work in my situation...but a great idea for others. I just can't let my girl do it...she put so much Teflon tape on the outside hose nozzle once that I couldn't get the sprayer off to save my life. When the sprayer broke, I had to go to Home Depot and buy a brand new hose, haha.

Ah yeah I know what you are talking about on the bottom, I ended up having to tighten the screws in it to keep it from spraying in random directions. It has to have a little bit of a gap there because of how it works to slide down the little ramp thing to reverse the flow.

the python system is great i have one and been using it for over 5 yrs

there are flaws to the system tho
its best you buy a nice well size kit comes with everything
the brass fitting for what ever size pipe you got
the plastic parts do and i repeat do break

idk how many times i had to replace parts due to over
pressure in the tap or times the shut off valve in the middle
has had bumps and drops and when water goes thru it cracks
so keep it in pristine condition or ur looking at 8 dollar replacements
at your LFS

i payed 25 dollars for mine on a special 25ft for 25$ dollar foot couldnt go wrong

i say its worth it all the way

when doing water changes does first ask questions later lol

and if you do get cracks and stuff crazy glue home and office works great
no leaks but leave it alone for a good week as it tends to burn the plastic
so mending it and leaving it alone for a week is good

Another random yet important point about water changers...wet hands mixed with sharply threaded fittings is a recipe for pain. The threads on the Python that attach to the faucet are very fine, and when you've got nice water logged hands from gravel vacuuming...it's easy to shed a bit of blood. I learned the hard way on that one.

eco23 said:
Another random yet important point about water changers...wet hands mixed with sharply threaded fittings is a recipe for pain. The threads on the Python that attach to the faucet are very fine, and when you've got nice water logged hands from gravel vacuuming...it's easy to shed a bit of blood. I learned the hard way on that one.

Lol I will keep that in mind. I think I will try to find the aquavac somewhere. Just looks like a well put together unit.

One thing to check before using a direct fill system like the Python is what your pH is coming straight out of the tap compaired to the normal pH in your tank(s). Mine for example is 8.4-8.2 right out of the tap and drops to 7.8 after a couple hours, so I'm precluded from the benefits of a quick fill sytem or I risk injuring or killing my fish.

http://theaquariumwiki.com/PH_Shock

Mr. Limpet said:
One thing to check before using a direct fill system like the Python is what your pH is coming straight out of the tap compaired to the normal pH in your tank(s). Mine for example is 8.4-8.2 right out of the tap and drops to 7.8 after a couple hours, so I'm precluded from the benefits of a quick fill sytem or I risk injuring or killing my fish.

http://theaquariumwiki.com/PH_Shock

Mine stays at an 8.2 pretty much no matter what. I go straight from tap anyways.. just by bucket

putting 8.4 water into a 7.8 tank is not a big enough leap to worry about IMO.

First you have to consider how much water you are changing out. If you do a 50% wc then you would have just a .3 difference in pH overall.

FWIW, I have different tanks with different ph levels, some have aragonite sand putting them in the 8's, while others have acid buffers like alder cones/wood that drops them into the 6's. I've always filled them all the same without any consequence.

Another example of swinging pH is a tank with pressurized co2. It's not uncommon for a tank to drop an entire ph point in a matter of minutes when the gas comes on every morning.

I'd be more concerned with a big shift in TDS.

OK.. I gotta ask.. I'm still learning most of my abbreviations.. haven't seen tds before. What's that?

total dissolved solids. TDS shock happens in tanks that don't get regular water changes (or just have a huge difference in tds from tap to tank), they wait a few months then do one massive wc and the fish die off.

jetajockey said:
putting 8.4 water into a 7.8 tank is not a big enough leap to worry about IMO.

First you have to consider how much water you are changing out. If you do a 50% wc then you would have just a .3 difference in pH overall.

FWIW, I have different tanks with different ph levels, some have aragonite sand putting them in the 8's, while others have acid buffers like alder cones/wood that drops them into the 6's. I've always filled them all the same without any consequence.

Another example of swinging pH is a tank with pressurized co2. It's not uncommon for a tank to drop an entire ph point in a matter of minutes when the gas comes on every morning.

I'd be more concerned with a big shift in TDS.

The link I posted talked about co2 causing swings in pH over night (something like that) as being an issue and that different fish are able to tolerate different pH swings. I'm not inclined to risk injuring/killing one of my fish just to test the differential limit or to save a couple bucket lifts. My driveway bib foams when I use it and when tested, the pH was off the scale (9.0+) :eek:.

jetajockey said:
total dissolved solids. TDS shock happens in tanks that don't get regular water changes (or just have a huge difference in tds from tap to tank), they wait a few months then do one massive wc and the fish die off.

Ohh OK.. the more you know.

The link I posted talked about co2 causing swings in pH over night (something like that) as being an issue and that different fish are able to tolerate different pH swings. I'm not inclined to risk injuring/killing one of my fish just to test the differential limit or to save a couple bucket lifts. My driveway bib foams when I use it and when tested, the pH was off the scale (9.0+) :eek:.

Yeah pressurized co2 goes off at night so the ph rises back up until morning. AFAIK i've not really heard any reports from anyone saying it's been an issue for their stock, and I've read into the subject quite a bit.

My point was that in most cases there isn't a risk involved (esp when it comes to partial water changes), and the idea is unsubstantiated when tested.

If your ph is that crazy out of the tap I'd be concerned about adding it at all lol.

jetajockey said:
Yeah pressurized co2 goes off at night so the ph rises back up until morning. AFAIK i've not really heard any reports from anyone saying it's been an issue for their stock, and I've read into the subject quite a bit.

My point was that in most cases there isn't a risk involved (esp when it comes to partial water changes), and the idea is unsubstantiated when tested.

If your ph is that crazy out of the tap I'd be concerned about adding it at all lol.

Nope it out gasses due to little use, just a test and I'd never use a cold water only bib since there's no temp control anyway. I also don't like testing limits/unknows and risk killing my pets :D.

Idk if this question was answered or not but, when you use a python to take out the water, how do you know how much you took out so you can dose the proper amount of treatment?

Back
Top Bottom