Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherspawn

I guess the lees one has "metal faucet connections" for an extra 8 bucks.
The Python advertises brass fittings...but honestly the only brass part is what screws into the faucet. The part that screws into that is the cheap plastic which sprays when under pressure. I've tried tightening it all up, but it still launches a small stream of water about 10 feet, lol. If you've got a few extra $'s, I'd go with one where the actual mechanics are brass...not just the fitting that connects to the faucet.

Don't get me wrong...I love my Python and couldn't live without it...but I'd have gone a different direction. I'll check out that Lees one, and I'll PM my buddy and see exactly what his is.

eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #22

I see the Marina aquavac .. has brass fitting that attaches to the faucet but like you said only the attachment is brass.. the other parts connecting are plastic. Even the extra attachements only have "parts" of them being brass.. still looks like decent quality and it's only another ten bucks compared to python or aqueon

Old 06-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's the link for the one my friend has...I misunderstood him. I thought he meant the entire connector was brass, but it doesn't seem so. He still swears by the quality of it though.
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Clean-W.../dp/B00101BYN0
Old 06-02-2011, 01:20 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherspawn
I see the Marina aquavac .. has brass fitting that attaches to the faucet but like you said only the attachment is brass.. the other parts connecting are plastic. Even the extra attachements only have "parts" of them being brass.. still looks like decent quality and it's only another ten bucks compared to python or aqueon
Yeah, sorry. I was a little slow to post. I realized the same thing when I looked at it.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #25
come get me tang police!

I put teflon tape on the fittings on my python and they don't leak. I wouldn't be able to do water changes without that thing.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I put teflon tape on the fittings on my python and they don't leak. I wouldn't be able to do water changes without that thing.
I wonder if mine is defective somehow. There's a legitimate gap where you spin the bottom to reverse the flow. Teflon tape won't work in my situation...but a great idea for others. I just can't let my girl do it...she put so much Teflon tape on the outside hose nozzle once that I couldn't get the sprayer off to save my life. When the sprayer broke, I had to go to Home Depot and buy a brand new hose, haha.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #27
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
I wonder if mine is defective somehow. There's a legitimate gap where you spin the bottom to reverse the flow. Teflon tape won't work in my situation...but a great idea for others. I just can't let my girl do it...she put so much Teflon tape on the outside hose nozzle once that I couldn't get the sprayer off to save my life. When the sprayer broke, I had to go to Home Depot and buy a brand new hose, haha.

Ah yeah I know what you are talking about on the bottom, I ended up having to tighten the screws in it to keep it from spraying in random directions. It has to have a little bit of a gap there because of how it works to slide down the little ramp thing to reverse the flow.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

the python system is great i have one and been using it for over 5 yrs

there are flaws to the system tho
its best you buy a nice well size kit comes with everything
the brass fitting for what ever size pipe you got
the plastic parts do and i repeat do break

idk how many times i had to replace parts due to over
pressure in the tap or times the shut off valve in the middle
has had bumps and drops and when water goes thru it cracks
so keep it in pristine condition or ur looking at 8 dollar replacements
at your LFS

i payed 25 dollars for mine on a special 25ft for 25$ dollar foot couldnt go wrong

i say its worth it all the way

when doing water changes does first ask questions later lol

and if you do get cracks and stuff crazy glue home and office works great
no leaks but leave it alone for a good week as it tends to burn the plastic
so mending it and leaving it alone for a week is good
Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another random yet important point about water changers...wet hands mixed with sharply threaded fittings is a recipe for pain. The threads on the Python that attach to the faucet are very fine, and when you've got nice water logged hands from gravel vacuuming...it's easy to shed a bit of blood. I learned the hard way on that one.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23
Another random yet important point about water changers...wet hands mixed with sharply threaded fittings is a recipe for pain. The threads on the Python that attach to the faucet are very fine, and when you've got nice water logged hands from gravel vacuuming...it's easy to shed a bit of blood. I learned the hard way on that one.
Lol I will keep that in mind. I think I will try to find the aquavac somewhere. Just looks like a well put together unit.

Tags
python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com