Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

One thing to check before using a direct fill system like the Python is what your pH is coming straight out of the tap compaired to the normal pH in your tank(s). Mine for example is 8.4-8.2 right out of the tap and drops to 7.8 after a couple hours, so I'm precluded from the benefits of a quick fill sytem or I risk injuring or killing my fish.

http://theaquariumwiki.com/PH_Shock

Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet
One thing to check before using a direct fill system like the Python is what your pH is coming straight out of the tap compaired to the normal pH in your tank(s). Mine for example is 8.4-8.2 right out of the tap and drops to 7.8 after a couple hours, so I'm precluded from the benefits of a quick fill sytem or I risk injuring or killing my fish.

http://theaquariumwiki.com/PH_Shock
Mine stays at an 8.2 pretty much no matter what. I go straight from tap anyways.. just by bucket

Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #33
come get me tang police!

putting 8.4 water into a 7.8 tank is not a big enough leap to worry about IMO.

First you have to consider how much water you are changing out. If you do a 50% wc then you would have just a .3 difference in pH overall.

FWIW, I have different tanks with different ph levels, some have aragonite sand putting them in the 8's, while others have acid buffers like alder cones/wood that drops them into the 6's. I've always filled them all the same without any consequence.

Another example of swinging pH is a tank with pressurized co2. It's not uncommon for a tank to drop an entire ph point in a matter of minutes when the gas comes on every morning.

I'd be more concerned with a big shift in TDS.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #34

OK.. I gotta ask.. I'm still learning most of my abbreviations.. haven't seen tds before. What's that?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #35
come get me tang police!

total dissolved solids. TDS shock happens in tanks that don't get regular water changes (or just have a huge difference in tds from tap to tank), they wait a few months then do one massive wc and the fish die off.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
putting 8.4 water into a 7.8 tank is not a big enough leap to worry about IMO.

First you have to consider how much water you are changing out. If you do a 50% wc then you would have just a .3 difference in pH overall.

FWIW, I have different tanks with different ph levels, some have aragonite sand putting them in the 8's, while others have acid buffers like alder cones/wood that drops them into the 6's. I've always filled them all the same without any consequence.

Another example of swinging pH is a tank with pressurized co2. It's not uncommon for a tank to drop an entire ph point in a matter of minutes when the gas comes on every morning.

I'd be more concerned with a big shift in TDS.
The link I posted talked about co2 causing swings in pH over night (something like that) as being an issue and that different fish are able to tolerate different pH swings. I'm not inclined to risk injuring/killing one of my fish just to test the differential limit or to save a couple bucket lifts. My driveway bib foams when I use it and when tested, the pH was off the scale (9.0+) .
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 AM   #37

Quote:
total dissolved solids. TDS shock happens in tanks that don't get regular water changes (or just have a huge difference in tds from tap to tank), they wait a few months then do one massive wc and the fish die off.
Ohh OK.. the more you know.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #38
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
The link I posted talked about co2 causing swings in pH over night (something like that) as being an issue and that different fish are able to tolerate different pH swings. I'm not inclined to risk injuring/killing one of my fish just to test the differential limit or to save a couple bucket lifts. My driveway bib foams when I use it and when tested, the pH was off the scale (9.0+) .
Yeah pressurized co2 goes off at night so the ph rises back up until morning. AFAIK i've not really heard any reports from anyone saying it's been an issue for their stock, and I've read into the subject quite a bit.

My point was that in most cases there isn't a risk involved (esp when it comes to partial water changes), and the idea is unsubstantiated when tested.

If your ph is that crazy out of the tap I'd be concerned about adding it at all lol.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:30 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Yeah pressurized co2 goes off at night so the ph rises back up until morning. AFAIK i've not really heard any reports from anyone saying it's been an issue for their stock, and I've read into the subject quite a bit.

My point was that in most cases there isn't a risk involved (esp when it comes to partial water changes), and the idea is unsubstantiated when tested.

If your ph is that crazy out of the tap I'd be concerned about adding it at all lol.
Nope it out gasses due to little use, just a test and I'd never use a cold water only bib since there's no temp control anyway. I also don't like testing limits/unknows and risk killing my pets .
Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Idk if this question was answered or not but, when you use a python to take out the water, how do you know how much you took out so you can dose the proper amount of treatment?

Tags
python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com