using a python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GrimmGoby said:
Idk if this question was answered or not but, when you use a python to take out the water, how do you know how much you took out so you can dose the proper amount of treatment?

I've been reccommended to dose for the entire tank size. Not just what you replace.

pantherspawn said:
I've been reccommended to dose for the entire tank size. Not just what you replace.

Oh really? I read the directions on the bottle, and that is what it said, but I thought to myself, that can't be right. So I would only dose what I was replacing, my mistake.

How are you guys adding water straight from your pythons/aqueon gravel cleaners to your tank?

If your freshwater i understand, but saltwater i have to fill a big bucket full of water, then mix salt in, then keep adding the premixed saltwater in slowly with a plastic container. Or is there a easier way??

KSum89 said:
How are you guys adding water straight from your pythons/aqueon gravel cleaners to your tank?

If your freshwater i understand, but saltwater i have to fill a big bucket full of water, then mix salt in, then keep adding the premixed saltwater in slowly with a plastic container. Or is there a easier way??

All of my tanks are freshwater only.. setting up a brackish within the next week or two but no marine tanks.. yet

Nope it out gasses due to little use, just a test and I'd never use a cold water only bib since there's no temp control anyway. I also don't like testing limits/unknows and risk killing my pets :D.

I'm not even sure what you are saying now, lol.

At night, Co2 offgasses by surface turnover/shutting off the co2 injection. Some people like to expedite the process by having an airstone run during the night as well. No matter how you cut it, its a fast change in ph, and not one that poses any serious risk as far as I've seen/read.

I'm not sure what the temp control of the faucet water has to do with testing limits and risking pets.

If the temperature of the water coming out of the faucet is remotely close to that in the tanks, there's no risk, or test, you are just taking unnecessary precautions. And that's totally cool, you can be as super cautious as you feel, but when you start advising others to do so, expect to get called on it.

For some species, breeders actually purposely put in water 10 degrees+ colder into the tank to trigger spawning.

pantherspawn said:
All of my tanks are freshwater only.. setting up a brackish within the next week or two but no marine tanks.. yet

Ok everyone must have freshwater tanks in here then, because what i said has to be the only method of changing water in all saltwater tanks.

Mr. Limpet said:
Yep, SW & BW has to be pre-set to the right SG.

What exactly does the B stand for in BW? i cant use context clues on that one lol, its not working.

Oh and how are saltwater tanks cleaning the sand, i have alot of rock and its hard getting down to it so i just try to get to all the water all around the bottom level of the tank.

KSum89 said:
What exactly does the B stand for in BW? i cant use context clues on that one lol, its not working.

Oh and how are saltwater tanks cleaning the sand, i have alot of rock and its hard getting down to it so i just try to get to all the water all around the bottom level of the tank.

Brackish Water.

I'd suggest you start a thread in SW forum about the other question.

Most people clean the sand in tanks by swirling thz gravel cleaner right above the substrate to get the debris to float and then remove it with the vac. Some even attach ends to hem such as fork prongs or toothpicks to move the sand around without touching it to the gravel vac.

Back
Top Bottom