Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmGoby
Idk if this question was answered or not but, when you use a python to take out the water, how do you know how much you took out so you can dose the proper amount of treatment?
I've been reccommended to dose for the entire tank size. Not just what you replace.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherspawn

I've been reccommended to dose for the entire tank size. Not just what you replace.
Yes and dose the tank before you add water back into the tank.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Oh really? I read the directions on the bottle, and that is what it said, but I thought to myself, that can't be right. So I would only dose what I was replacing, my mistake.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
How are you guys adding water straight from your pythons/aqueon gravel cleaners to your tank?

If your freshwater i understand, but saltwater i have to fill a big bucket full of water, then mix salt in, then keep adding the premixed saltwater in slowly with a plastic container. Or is there a easier way??
Old 06-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSum89
How are you guys adding water straight from your pythons/aqueon gravel cleaners to your tank?

If your freshwater i understand, but saltwater i have to fill a big bucket full of water, then mix salt in, then keep adding the premixed saltwater in slowly with a plastic container. Or is there a easier way??
All of my tanks are freshwater only.. setting up a brackish within the next week or two but no marine tanks.. yet
Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #46
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Nope it out gasses due to little use, just a test and I'd never use a cold water only bib since there's no temp control anyway. I also don't like testing limits/unknows and risk killing my pets .

I'm not even sure what you are saying now, lol.

At night, Co2 offgasses by surface turnover/shutting off the co2 injection. Some people like to expedite the process by having an airstone run during the night as well. No matter how you cut it, its a fast change in ph, and not one that poses any serious risk as far as I've seen/read.

I'm not sure what the temp control of the faucet water has to do with testing limits and risking pets.

If the temperature of the water coming out of the faucet is remotely close to that in the tanks, there's no risk, or test, you are just taking unnecessary precautions. And that's totally cool, you can be as super cautious as you feel, but when you start advising others to do so, expect to get called on it.

For some species, breeders actually purposely put in water 10 degrees+ colder into the tank to trigger spawning.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, BW is the same as SW (just not as much salt ).

I mix my BW with a PH & air stone (heated to temp) for 24hrs and the SG is stable.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

All of my tanks are freshwater only.. setting up a brackish within the next week or two but no marine tanks.. yet
Ok everyone must have freshwater tanks in here then, because what i said has to be the only method of changing water in all saltwater tanks.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSum89

Ok everyone must have freshwater tanks in here then, because what i said has to be the only method of changing water in all saltwater tanks.
Yep, SW & BW has to be pre-set to the right SG.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

Yep, SW & BW has to be pre-set to the right SG.
What exactly does the B stand for in BW? i cant use context clues on that one lol, its not working.

Oh and how are saltwater tanks cleaning the sand, i have alot of rock and its hard getting down to it so i just try to get to all the water all around the bottom level of the tank.

Tags
python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com