using a tank heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetsuvvyb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys...

Time for more learning!

I have never used a tank heater before (well, until yesterday). My apartment(s) have always been warm enough, and the tanks small enough (prior to getting the goldies, i've only ever kept bettas), that it wasn't necessary. But for the first time, yesterday morning, my tank was a little chilly (72), so I figured it was time to heat (since I'm keeping fancies, I'm following the advice i've read, and keeping them warmer than you would a non-fancy...plus I still haven't found a home for the gift pleco, and he needs to be toasty). Well, 1st mishap, the heater I had didn't work. Went to petco (i know, i know, but they're open sundays), and bought the only 50 watt they had in stock, marineland visitherm. So far, the thing kicks butt. However, I have a couple questions.

When I do water changes, I'm assuming I need to unplug it, and let it cool beforehand?

how hot does it actually get? can my fish burn themselves on it?

thanks guys!

You don't have to unplug it as long as your not removing so much water that the element is exposed IMHO. I don't LOL

And as long as your fish aren't lying on it, they should be fine. You can get a heater guard if you're concerned about it.

I don't think it gets hot enough for a fish to burn itself, but people have reported their fish getting stuck behind it for a bit, and the fish getting burn marks (which healed a few weeks later).

The pleco has been snuggled up against it (he WAS cold..poor guy!)...which is why i was concerned...but it seems like if it was burning him, he wouldn't be that cozy with the durn thing!

I my experince keeping turtles you should really let it cool off.
I've seen many a heater shatter, I go by "Better safe then sorry".

But allivymar is right too, if your not taking out a large amount of water you should be in the clear.

My albino Plecoand CAE both love to suction hang off my 200watt heater, and since my tank is current'y around 88 degrees, They must like it..cause they havn't hurt themselves.

good to hear, william.

As an aside...can I just say how strange it was to look at the fish at the petco? They were all soo....little!! I swear their plecos were all less than a half-inch! I know a lot of people don't have the beastly fish that I do...but man! LOL

speaking of which....any pac-norwesties out there who are dying to add a common pleco to their tank? comes with driftwood, and his preferred companion...spongebob sqaurepants!

Heh, I know what you mean about the plecs sweets. My guy was about an inch/inch and a half when I got him. He's 8 inches long now, fat pig that he is LOL

if you have got a pleco or some thing like that it would be good to get a gard as they like to site on heaters well my one does.... :)

I have had my pleco for about two years now in my 55 gal tank. He is probably a good ten inches long. Still, amazingly, you hav a hard time finding him as he loves to hide behind the driftwood and in the rock "cave" that we made for him. Good fish to have, very cool.

Will your fish burn it-self, IMO yes it will. If a pleco or synodontis lays on a heater and the heater comes on they won't move, and in the end it will burn into there skin.

Put a heater into a bucket of water and turn it on full and see how long you can hold on to it.

If your fish are laying on it for long periods eventually it will burn them, i would put a heater guard in the tank.

When it comes to water changes, if your water level goes on to the heater so that the heater eliment is above the water then it will blow. Check to see how far down you water is when you do your change.
If it is close to the eliment it is better to be safe that sorry, if it is nowhere near then you have no worrys.

Back
Top Bottom