Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Using an old 55 gallon tank?

When I was shopping around for a stand for my 55 gallon aquarium kit, I ended up buying two different ones on craigslist. One of them I had to add a board to it so the tank could sit on it because the tank was half an inch too long for the stand but it is the one I'm using for my aquarium.

The other stand though came with a free tank. The tank has been sitting in a barn for a few years and really dirty. It is obviously an older tank (55 gallon I believe). I have it sitting in my garage right now while I clean it up. I've had it full of water/white vinegar mix for the last 24 hours and there has been no sign of leaking.

My questions are:

First, can I use this tank (after proper cycling of course)? Or is it too much of a gamble to use after all this time?

And second, where do I find a hood/light for this tank? It doesn't have the bar in the middle of the tank like my new 55 gallon does so all of the hoods I've seen so far would just fall in. Or would I have to have something custom made for it?

Thanks

Old 01-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

#1 If you have cleaned the tank with vinegar I'd say your good to use it.

#2 I think you would have to use a 48" light fixture and go open top.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
#1 If you have cleaned the tank with vinegar I'd say your good to use it.

#2 I think you would have to use a 48" light fixture and go open top.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I go open top, would I have to have a lower water level to prevent fish from jumping out? What kind of filter would be best to use when doing a lowered water level? I'm assuming the kind I'm most familiar with, the over the back of the aquarium models, would not work if the water level is too low.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just get a glass top for it and then get the type of light that sits on top of the glass. The glass tops come with a hinge in the middle, and fit on the inside lip of the trim. then it has a plastic piece that slides in the back and can be cut to fit the tubings and cords. Alison

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com