Using Lego bricks as bio media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scooter2210

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, just wondering if Lego bricks could be used as a bio media. I have a HOB filter which has enough space for me to add a few pieces of Lego behind the filters bio cartridge. I'm guessing the more surface area for BB to grow should be a good thing.
Let me know what you all think

Last edited:
I don't think they would be very effective. With bio media you are looking for something with a lot of surface area. Lego bricks are solid, so your surface area is limited. Some examples of things that people use are: ceramic rings, bio-balls, nylon pot scrubbers, and lava rock.

Ok. Thanks for that. I only thought of using them because I have limited space in my filter for extra media. I was cleaning my sons room when the idea came to me. Bio balls wouldn't fit and anything to small would just sink to the bottom. I like the pot scrubber idea. They will fit perfectly.
Do I need to wash them before

I feel like they have better surface area then any bio ball would. Legos are hollow on the inside making it so bio would be twice as big as the space they take up....I'm only fear with them would be gunk building up inside the legos but I guess this happens with sponges and what not too

I would suggest to give them a quick boil. Sometimes they come with an anti-bacterial agent that they don't mention on the packaging.

But after that it will be perfect.

You want something porous. So, legos wouldn't be ideal because of their smooth texture.

Agreed. Legos are an interesting idea, but something like Fluval's Biomax has a much greater surface area due to all the pores in the material. In addition, Biomax are extruded tubes, which lets water pass through & around, and solid Legos would not allow for this.

Back
Top Bottom