USPS Flat rate boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
First time shipping using flat rate boxes...

Im planning to get some boxes from the post office, take it home, fill it up and ship it. Can you just take some flat rate boxes from the post office and pay for it when you already filled it up and ready to ship? Or you pay for it before you can take it home? Thanks.

You need to order them online. they deliver them to you about a week later.

You don't pay for postage until you get ready to send something, you can use either click-n-ship online to print out postage, or take it up there.

I suggest you get a mixture of boxes, if you are shipping light stuff its often much cheaper to go regular priority rates.

I would get a package of the 6x6x7 boxes, the 12x12x10 boxes, the large flat rate, medium flat rate, and the flat rate bubble mailers :)

Also there are some DVD/VCR? size boxes that you can get that fit perfectly into the flat rate bubble mailer, I stuff them into the bubble mailer sometimes as added cushion for whatever im sending.

Hey David,

Thanks for the help. Is this box(pic, ps3 ctrl for size comparison) a flat rate box? I think it's a 9"x9"x2". I'm thinking of just getting this one. The other ones are a little big for what I'm shipping. Can I just go to the post office and get some boxes?

Attachments

• image-2931219564.jpg
    image-2931219564.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 154
no that's not a flat rate box. The small flat rate is a lot smaller than that, but you can probably cram that 9" box into a flat rate bubble mailer, so it'd serve the same purpose.

I'm pretty sure you have to order them, but IDK, I don't go into my post office for anything other than to drop off prepaid packages.

I just noticed on the box. It says "small flat rate box"(5 3/8" x 8 5/8" x 1 5/8"). $5.25 to ship. I'll go to the post office and see if I have to pay right away. Thanks for the help :)

Attachments

• image-3512657342.jpg
    image-3512657342.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 124
At my post office, the boxes are free(so you could just take them) and you pay when you print a shipping label.

I went to the post office and grabbed a few boxes. It was free and I only paid when I shipped it.

I always order them and they deliver them in a few days. I ordered 100 small, 50 medium, and 25 large. I use the small boxes a lot, I just wish they were a little better shaped. USPS did not have plants in mind when they made flat rate boxes, that's for sure.

I agree with ordering them online. They are free and some small and medium flat rates should be all you ever need. You can cram a enough plants in a medium box to fill a 55g easily.

I usually ship in the small flat rate boxes. You can pay for it once you bring it to the post office, or you can save yourself like $0.25 and some time by just printing the shipping label directly from the USPS website.

I need to start doing the labels. Apparently you can get free delivery confirmation that way?

And, jetajockey posts that right as I do :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom