uv and skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waffle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should I put the uv sterilizer before the skimming process or other way around in my refugium

At my work on an Abalone (Pāua) holding tank we run a uv sterilizer on the skimmer outlet and ozone generator outlet into venturi down pipes. i've never seen water so clear before and it is our best holding tank by far.
BUT add around a tonne of Pāua and that water quality soon disappears..
hope this helps some, but remember this is on an industrial scale.

Sounds legit ... If it's working on a large scale I don't see why it wouldn't work on home aquariums...thanks

the uv unit did come with it's own pump but we hooked it onto the skimmer output as to drop running costs. why add an extra pump when you have flow to utilize.

All the water needs to run through the uv for it to be effective. It needs to be on the outlet of the pump, if some of the water is being pumped into the tank by the main pump and other water being put in the tank from the skimmer your not using it to its full potential.

The only reason I was considering putting it on the skimmer I thought the main pump flow would be to fast for the uv and I didn't want to harm the copepods that might be going into the main tank

I'll just use the flow from my skimmer to flow through my uv there's no way that uv or skimmer would do anything with a 12500 gph pump attached to it way to fast

Back
Top Bottom