UV filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webgeek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had some problems with ich in the past and was considering getting a UV sterilizer for my tank. I have a SeaClear 75 with the system 2 filter system in the back. It is very quite and very clean with a submerged 350 gallon per hour pump in the rear sump compartment, so I was hoping to get a submersible UV and run the filter pump through it right in the back of the tank rather than running a second pump outside the tank or getting the UV sterilizers with he built in pumps that hang off the back.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions with UV sterilizer arrangements like this? Product advice would be greatly appreciated even if you haven't dealt with this directly yourself, brands, wattage required? I was thinking about a 20 Watt filter like this one http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/sterilizers_pond.htm but I am very afraid of the $140 price tag especially when I don't even know what is important to look for in a product like this!

Also I was concerned that the UV sterilization might harm beneficial bacteria, but have not been doing this long enough to know for sure?

My setup: 75 gallon SeaClear with sponge filter followed by wet/dry bio balls followed by charcoal (proposed to be followed next by UV sterilizer). 4 discus, 2 German Blue Rams, 1 Roseline shark, 1 albino plecostamus, 2 yoyo loaches, 2 clown loaches (I know it may sound a bit crowded, but many of the fish are still young and small right now. I have another 55 gallon tank to start up when they get larger). No plants anymore, as I had too hard a time keeping algae off of them. My tank has been running for about 9 months now.

UV shouldn't harm beneficial bacteria because usually the UV lamp and filter media are in different areas and ne'er the twain shall meet.

Other than that, the only thing that I would really be able to say is, don't let U.V. be a substitute for proper tank care. It might get rid of bacteria etc. but it doesn't solve all problems.

Not that I expect that you are thinking this way, just thought I would put my thoughts down.

Thanks Mattrox

No worries on the tank maintenance. The Discus like weekly 25% water changes or they get noticably darker in color to let me know they are displeased. I have crystal clear and very soft water with 0 ammonia, 7.0 ph, 0 nitrites, and nitrates between about 5 and 15 ppm over the course of the week.

I have heard some dissing of the SeaClear system II wet/dry setup but I think that is mostly for reef tanks with live rock. Not sure. Regardless I suppose it would be the topic of another forum article somewhere else.

I am having an ich bout for the second time, so I am thinking that I did not wipe it out 100% the first time, as I have not added any fish recently. Thefirst time I am sure that one of the fish I got had it, though I have since bought a quarantine tank to hopefully take care of these kinds o problems before they are problems in the future.

Thanks again!

weekly 25% water changes are not enough for discus.. and if there getting dark there not just displeased they are so stressed that they are SICK! if you can see the vertical bars on the discus you need to change more water.. most discus tanks do best with at least 30% water changes every other day... Up to 75% a day is possible if they ever get sick..

Back
Top Bottom