UV filtration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had 2 different types. One has a pilot light monitoring the bulb current. The other one has a transparent eye glass reflecting some visible light. It uses the water flow as coolant. When the flow stops you loose the bulb.

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this;
I bought this UV sterilizer for $130 in 1981. As you can see it still works, though I'm sure the bulb is next to worthless by now.

It is also easy to see how simple it would be to make one like this for a lot less than $130 1980 dollars. LOL.
I believe it was among some of the very first ones made available to the average hobbyist, but I did have to wait for it to be made for me. It could have been made in someone's garage for all I know, but I do think the same company is still around in So. Cal, but can't recall the name.

92584-albums13974-picture66985.jpg

92584-albums13974-picture66984.jpg

92584-albums13974-picture66983.jpg

Those bulbs have a notorious short life span, they will look lit but produce little UV.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The bulb in it is a GE medical grade germicidal bulb. That unit was made long before UV sterilizers became common in the hobby with bulbs made specifically for the hobby. ;)

I just checked GE's site and the specs for the bulb I have (or at least the current version) and they are rated for 8,000 hours of average life.
so maybe that bulb still has some juice left to it after all because I know I didn't use it near 8,000 hours. But 8,000 hours is still less than a year life span.
The one in it is the G15T8.

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingW...Germicidal_Lamps_Brochure_EN_tcm381-12723.pdf

Back
Top Bottom